* IMAP /where are the examples?
@ 2000-01-31  0:42 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-01-31  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

This sucks....  I want to connect to an IMAP host with gnus.

The manual documentation includes *NO* examples.

I got this far from the variables listed there....

(nnimap "exp-imap"
	(nnimap-address "imap.xman.org"))

When I call up the host I get asked for a username... enter anonymous
(which is what is required on this host)  Then password (none required
so hit enter  --- also tried email address)

Can't connect this way.

Now here is the part that sucks.... I fire up netscape and connect
immediately simply by adding the imap server name and answering
anoymous when asked for username.... hitting enter when asked for
password.

What gives?

* Re: IMAP /where are the examples?
@ 2000-01-31  2:27 ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 2000-01-31  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam wrote :

> The manual documentation includes *NO* examples.

I haven't looked at what ships as part of the Gnus manual, but

http://www.extundo.com/nnimap/

has a manual that does indeed have examples.

> I got this far from the variables listed there....
>
> (nnimap "exp-imap"
> 	(nnimap-address "imap.xman.org"))
>
> When I call up the host I get asked for a username... enter
> anonymous (which is what is required on this host) Then password
> (none required so hit enter --- also tried email address)

If you're doing an anonymous login I guess you probably want to add an
(nnimap-authenticator anonymous) to your server paramater list.  Not
that I've tried anonymous logins, but the documentation does mention
that as an authentication type...

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> glug glug glug

* Re: IMAP /where are the examples?
@ 2000-01-31  2:53   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-01-31  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 01:27:51PM +1100, Andrew J Cosgriff wrote:
> Harry Putnam wrote :
>
> I haven't looked at what ships as part of the Gnus manual, but
>
> http://www.extundo.com/nnimap/
>
> has a manual that does indeed have examples.

Thanks for the pointer.... haven't actually looked at it yet though.

> If you're doing an anonymous login I guess you probably want to add an
> (nnimap-authenticator anonymous) to your server paramater list.  Not
> that I've tried anonymous logins, but the documentation does mention
> that as an authentication type...

Oh boy.... simple as that... got it going now, thanks.