* Export the entire ~/Mail tree step by step to mbox
@ 2000-05-14  9:46 Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 2000-05-14  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I would like to export (respool, output, save, or whatever) my entire ~/Mail
tree to a new tree in mbox format. That means, the directory ~/Mail/foo
becomes the mbox file ~/newMail/foo, and so forth.

I grepped thru gnus' manual but only found a manual way of exporting an
article `Output|Save in Unix mail format'.

An easy way (for me as a lisp novice) to export the articles is to write a
shell script, but what are the nitty gritty details of mbox? Or does gnus
provide a way?

Any help appreciated,
Stefan.

--
Tired of ads on the web? Don't like cookies? The Junkbuster removes
both! Check out http://www.waldherr.org/junkbuster/

* Re: Export the entire ~/Mail tree step by step to mbox
@ 2000-05-14  9:59 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-14  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Stefan Waldherr <stefan@waldherr.org> writes:

> I would like to export (respool, output, save, or whatever) my
> entire ~/Mail tree to a new tree in mbox format. That means, the
> directory ~/Mail/foo becomes the mbox file ~/newMail/foo, and so
> forth.

You need two servers, one for nnml and one for nnfolder.  Possibly
like this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")
        (nnfolder "" (nnfolder-directory "~/newMail/"))))

You may need more parameters for nnfolder, in addition to
nnfolder-directory.  See the Gnus info file for details.  Be
especially careful that nnml and nnfolder use different `active'
files!

Now there are two possibilities:

(1) For each group nnml:foo, you move all messages to nnfolder:foo, as
    follows:
    - Enter group nnml:foo, displaying all messages:  C-u RET
    - Mark all displayed messages: M P a
    - Move all marked messages to the other group:
      B m RET nnfolder:foo RET

(2) Set nnmail-split-methods such that all messages will end up in the
    right folder, then run `B r' in each group.  Specify `nnfolder' as
    backend to use for splitting to.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.