* texinfo-format-buffer fails in latest snapshot
@ 2000-09-26 18:31 Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 2000-09-26 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Running Emacs 20.7.

I'm working with the latest Gnus nightly snapshot.

I don't have makeinfo installed, so I build the docs with
texinfo-format-buffer in the standard way.

Somewhere along the way, the tag
        @ifinfo

was replaced by
        @ifnottex
in {gnus, emacs-mime, message}.texi

This causes the build to break, with the message:
        @ifnottex is not handled by texinfo

Is there a reason for this change?  Could we change back to something that
is recognized by texinfo?

--
Jim Davidson
jdavidson @ acm.org

* Re: texinfo-format-buffer fails in latest snapshot
@ 2000-09-27 12:07 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-27 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I think Gnus requires TeXinfo 4.x.  Do you still have 3.x?
kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: texinfo-format-buffer fails in latest snapshot
@ 2000-09-27 16:54   ` Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 2000-09-27 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 637 bytes --]

> I think Gnus requires TeXinfo 4.x.  Do you still have 3.x?

Hmm... I'm using the versions of texinfo.el and texinfmt.el that are delivered
as part of Emacs 20.7.  These have the following version strings:
        texinfo.el: (defvar texinfo-version "2.37 of 24 May 1997")
        texinfmt.el: (defvar texinfmt-version "2.38 of 3 July 1998")

Are there a newer version of these files?

The only TeXinfo 4.0 that I can find is a standalone package, rather than an
Emacs package.  That's probably overkill for this situation.

Thanks!

--

@ 2000-09-27 18:32     ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2000-09-27 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jim Davidson <jdavidson@nospam.com> writes:

Hi!

> The only TeXinfo 4.0 that I can find is a standalone package, rather
> than an Emacs package. That's probably overkill for this situation.

No, it's not. TeXinfo.el uses TeXinfo in the background. You'll have
to upgrade if you want to read the documentation. Well, or get the
end-product from some server.

norbert.

* Re: texinfo-format-buffer fails in latest snapshot
@ 2000-09-27 20:45       ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2000-09-27 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <nk@LF.net> writes:

> Jim Davidson <jdavidson@nospam.com> writes:
>
> > The only TeXinfo 4.0 that I can find is a standalone package, rather
> > than an Emacs package. That's probably overkill for this situation.
>
> No, it's not. TeXinfo.el uses TeXinfo in the background.

No, texinfo-format-buffer from texinfmt.el doesn't use a standalone
TeXinfo-program.

In the ntEmacs makefile the texinfo -> info conversion is done solely by
Emacs:

emacs -batch -q -no-site-file gnus.texi -f texinfo-every-node-update -f texinfo-format-buffer -f save-buffer

--
Keep the Deja Archive Alive!
<http://www.petitiononline.com/dejanews/>

* Re: texinfo-format-buffer fails in latest snapshot
@ 2000-09-27 22:08 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2000-09-27 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

 JD> Is there a reason for this change?

It's rms boilerplate.  [Texinfo can generate (at least) HTML as well
as Info.]

 JD> Could we change back to something that is recognized by texinfo?

We shouldn't be limited by what texinfmt can handle; I don't know if
it's maintained any more, and it definitely isn't up-to-date.
Distributions should contain formatted Info files, not that there's
anything I can do about that.

* Re: texinfo-format-buffer fails in latest snapshot
@ 2000-09-28  5:13         ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2000-09-28  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jesper Harder <jesper_harder@hotmail.com> writes:

> In the ntEmacs makefile the texinfo -> info conversion is done
> solely by Emacs:

Uh yes, sorry for the noise :-(