* What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 14:49 David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-12-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Justin, I think I've got a soon to be FAQ for you :-)

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's oort?  I've tried several
dictionaries to no avail.

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
dsg@world.std.com

* Re: What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 15:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-20 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Google is your friend.  I thought it was a place in Scandinavia, and
now I see that it's a cloud of celestial bodies.

I think Lars used the words `far out' in connection with Oort, which
kinda fits.

But there is also Jan Hendrik Oort, who discovered the Oort Cloud.

kai

* Re: What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 15:59   ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2000-12-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Google is your friend.  I thought it was a place in Scandinavia, and
> now I see that it's a cloud of celestial bodies.
>
> I think Lars used the words `far out' in connection with Oort, which
> kinda fits.

If I recall the original reasoning was something along the lines of 'it is
far out, pretty, and occasionally rains fairy destruction down upon the
earth'. :)

-bp

* Re: What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 16:46     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-12-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Google is your friend.  I thought it was a place in Scandinavia, and
> > now I see that it's a cloud of celestial bodies.
> >
> > I think Lars used the words `far out' in connection with Oort, which
> > kinda fits.
>
> If I recall the original reasoning was something along the lines of 'it is
> far out, pretty, and occasionally rains fairy destruction down upon the
> earth'. :)

I thought it was the sound a male Gnu makes when sighting a female.

* Re: What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 16:51     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-12-20 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Google is your friend.  I thought it was a place in Scandinavia, and
> > now I see that it's a cloud of celestial bodies.
> >
> > I think Lars used the words `far out' in connection with Oort, which
> > kinda fits.
>
> If I recall the original reasoning was something along the lines of 'it is
> far out, pretty, and occasionally rains fairy destruction down upon the
> earth'. :)

I feel the beginnings of a round of dumb jokes about this....

Its only fitting that the next name choosen be `nemesis'.  `N' is up
and it fits naming gnus after the `theoreticle' star that is thought
to pass through the Oort cloud and provoke the deadly rain of
meteorites that some space buffs think brought on the great dinasour
tradgedy.

* Re: What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 16:58       ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2000-12-20 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> I thought it was the sound a male Gnu makes when sighting a female.

        Almost. s/Gnu/Pterodactyl/ :-)

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~verna/
 - / / - / / /_/ /        EPITA / LRDE         mailto:didier@lrde.epita.fr

* Re: What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 17:03       ` Oyvind Moll
From: Oyvind Moll @ 2000-12-20 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>

| I feel the beginnings of a round of dumb jokes about this....
|
| Its only fitting that the next name choosen be `nemesis'.  `N' is up
| and it fits naming gnus after the `theoreticle' star that is thought
| to pass through the Oort cloud and provoke the deadly rain of
| meteorites that some space buffs think brought on the great dinasour
| tradgedy.

My punning plan was to suggest 'No Gnus' when this time arrived.
I would then expect to use 'Good Gnus' in the vicinity of 2013.

--
   Øyvind Møll              <oyvindmo@initio.no>
   Initio IT-løsninger AS   <URL: http://www.initio.no/ >

* Re: What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 17:25         ` John Cooper
From: John Cooper @ 2000-12-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

 > Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
 >
 > > I thought it was the sound a male Gnu makes when sighting a female.
 >
 >         Almost. s/Gnu/Pterodactyl/ :-)

And then   s/male/mail/  :-)

    --- John

* Re: What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 17:47           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-12-20 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Dec 2000, John Cooper wrote:

> And then   s/male/mail/  :-)

The sound a mail pterodactyl makes when sighting a femail?

*confused look*

kai

* Re: What's an Oort?
@ 2000-12-20 18:01             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-12-20 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 20 Dec 2000, John Cooper wrote:
>
> > And then   s/male/mail/  :-)
>
> The sound a mail pterodactyl makes when sighting a femail?
>
> *confused look*

I've got it...

Its the thought process, a lisp programmer has when sighting the
meteorite fallout from a female Gnu passing through the Oort cloud.