* Questions about piping and unknown charsets
@ 2001-03-30 11:08 Anssi Saari
From: Anssi Saari @ 2001-03-30 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've had some trouble with mail today. First, I got a an email with a
Framemaker document as attachment. Once upon a time I wrote a perl script
to which I can pipe such mails and attachments get printed. But with Gnus
there's this tiny little problem that I can't pipe the mail as is. If I use |
(i.e. gnus-summary-pipe-output), it doesn't pipe the attachment and if
I right click on the attachment and select pipe to command, it decodes
the attachment before piping it, which breaks my script and anyway, with
multiple attachments it's too much work to pipe them one by one.

Other problem is, I got a mail with this message on top:

This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet
Service.  To view the original message content,  open the attached
message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to
disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original
character set. <<message.txt>>

That idiocy was probably done by Exchange. So I have an attachment
with iso-8859-1 chars encoded to quoted-printable but content-type is
"TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN". How do I fix that in Gnus?  The mail
in on the Exchange server and accessed through IMAP, so Gnus considers
it read-only...

So, any Gnus solutions to these things? I think there should definitely
be a command to really pipe the complete article to a command. Gnus version
I have is Oort snapshot from 20010110.

Anssi Saari

* Re: Questions about piping and unknown charsets
@ 2001-03-30 23:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-30 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Anssi Saari wrote:

> That idiocy was probably done by Exchange. So I have an attachment
> with iso-8859-1 chars encoded to quoted-printable but content-type
> is "TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN". How do I fix that in Gnus?  The
> mail in on the Exchange server and accessed through IMAP, so Gnus
> considers it read-only...

I think you can `C-d' on the message, then `1 g' on the attachment,
specifying the correct charset.

Does it work to do `C-u g' first before piping?

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Questions about piping and unknown charsets
@ 2001-03-31 14:10   ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-03-31 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31 Mar 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Anssi Saari wrote:
>>
>> That idiocy was probably done by Exchange. So I have an attachment
>> with iso-8859-1 chars encoded to quoted-printable but content-type
>> is "TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN". How do I fix that in Gnus?  The
>> mail in on the Exchange server and accessed through IMAP, so Gnus
>> considers it read-only...
>
> I think you can `C-d' on the message, then `1 g' on the attachment,
> specifying the correct charset.
>
> Does it work to do `C-u g' first before piping?

Yes. I do this on a semi-regular basis to get raw-text output to piped
commands.

        Daniel

--
Crying loud, you're crawling on the floor
Just a beautiful baby, You're nothing more

* Re: Questions about piping and unknown charsets
@ 2001-04-02  8:26   ` Anssi Saari
From: Anssi Saari @ 2001-04-02  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 01:20:14AM +0200, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> I think you can `C-d' on the message, then `1 g' on the attachment,
> specifying the correct charset.

If I do that, I get the attachment as a separate message, with these
MIME headers:

The text is still quoted-printable and doesn't get decoded. I suppose
that because the actual text I'm interested in is still an attachment
specifying the charset with 1 g doesn't help. Washing with W q produces
the message "Malformed quoted-printable text" which I think is caused
by the article's header line Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN
which is indeed malformed quoted-printable.

What a mess. I hope I don't get a lot of this kind of messages. It seems
the best solution is copying the message to any group that allows editing
and changing the charset by hand.

> Does it work to do `C-u g' first before piping?

Yes it does, thanks. My script doesn't work, but that I can solve :)