* Send your Resume to 1000s of Recruiters With Just One Click
@ 2001-12-20 20:30 webmaster
From: webmaster @ 2001-12-20 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Send your Resume to 1000s of Recruiters With Just One Click
@ 2001-12-29  0:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-29  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hm.  Lots of spam lately.  Is there any spam filters that may be
applied to the mailing list, or is that a lost cause?

* Re: Send your Resume to 1000s of Recruiters With Just One Click
@ 2001-12-29  8:40   ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-12-29  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hm.  Lots of spam lately.  Is there any spam filters that may be
> applied to the mailing list, or is that a lost cause?

The only full-proof way is to accept posts from subscribers only, but
that of course has its own downside.

* Re: Send your Resume to 1000s of Recruiters With Just One Click
@ 2001-12-29  9:28     ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-12-29  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1010306408.42d0a9@mastaler.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Hm.  Lots of spam lately.  Is there any spam filters that may be
>> applied to the mailing list, or is that a lost cause?
>
> The only full-proof way is to accept posts from subscribers only,
> but that of course has its own downside.

Non-subscribers could be verified somehow.

    - Through moderation.  But that requires a human.  My guess is
      that non-subscribers post to ding infrequently though.

    - Through a challenge/response mail, similar to how MLMs confirm
      that a new subscriber can be reached.  This may require some
      custom hacking.

--
matt

* Re: Send your Resume to 1000s of Recruiters With Just One Click
@ 2001-12-30 14:48       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2001-12-30 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Non-subscribers could be verified somehow.

>     - Through moderation.  But that requires a human.  My guess is
>       that non-subscribers post to ding infrequently though.

>     - Through a challenge/response mail, similar to how MLMs confirm
>       that a new subscriber can be reached.  This may require some
>       custom hacking.

The mailing list software used by the sources.redhat.com mailing
lists, lets you register for posting, by sending mail to a
mailinglist-allow@somewhere address (similar to
	<http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html#rbl-sucks>

The software they use is a combination of qmail and ezmlm-idx:
	<http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html#what-software>

However, some people, eg. me, aren't subscribed to the mailinglist,
but have instead just added the foreign group
nntp+news.gnus.org:gnus.ding, and read and post, using this group.

* Re: Send your Resume to 1000s of Recruiters With Just One Click
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> The mailing list software used by the sources.redhat.com mailing
> lists, lets you register for posting, by sending mail to a
> mailinglist-allow@somewhere address (similar to
> 	<http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html#rbl-sucks>

That's a possibility...

> However, some people, eg. me, aren't subscribed to the mailinglist,
> but have instead just added the foreign group
> nntp+news.gnus.org:gnus.ding, and read and post, using this group.

And on news, we can cancel spam, so it's less of an issue there.

* Re: Send your Resume to 1000s of Recruiters With Just One Click
@ 2001-12-31  7:45     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-12-31  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason R. Mastaler" <jason-dated-1010306408.42d0a9@mastaler.com> wrote:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>> Hm.  Lots of spam lately.  Is there any spam filters that may be
>> applied to the mailing list, or is that a lost cause?
>
> The only full-proof way is to accept posts from subscribers only, but
> that of course has its own downside.

Wouldn't TMDA work here?  Subscribers could be automatically added to
the whitelist; others would have to respond to a confirmation message
once.

paul

* Re: Send your Resume to 1000s of Recruiters With Just One Click
@ 2001-12-31  8:25       ` Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 2001-12-31  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Wouldn't TMDA work here?  Subscribers could be automatically added
> to the whitelist; others would have to respond to a confirmation
> message once.

Yes, it would work.  Some people find this sort of thing disconcerting
though.  I guess Lars should decide what to do in the end.

Ideally, TMDA would read both the subscriber list as well as an
additional "whitelist", so that only non-subscribers would have to
confirm their posts (and only once).

If you want to see how this would work, send a test message to
<jason-tmdatest@mastaler.com> -- assume the confirmation text would be
tailored to the mailing list.