* current cvs version is badly BROKEN
@ 2000-05-03 14:52 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 2000-05-03 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

with current cvs version any attempt to send a message with 8-bit
cyrillic text leads to sending it in internal mule encoding instead of
mime encoding (mime headers are okay).

previewing (plain and raw) does not show a problem. The following is a
line with cyrillic text:

▄©▄Ю▄ч▄я▄п ▄ъ▄у▄Ю▄п.

Best,
v.

* Re: current cvs version is badly BROKEN (test: úÄÒÁ×ÓÔ×ÕÊÔÅ!)
@ 2000-05-03 16:08 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-05-03 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

VV> Hi!

VV> with current cvs version any attempt to send a message with 8-bit
VV> cyrillic text leads to sending it in internal mule encoding
VV> instead of mime encoding (mime headers are okay).

Where did you put the 8-bit cyrillic text? In the body or the subject?
What is your setting to send it in 8-bit?

Test text: Здравствуйте!

The test Cyrillic text of this message should be encoded in 8-bit. So
does the text in the subject.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: current cvs version is badly BROKEN (test: Здравствуйте!)
@ 2000-05-04  7:34   ` Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 2000-05-04  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: test

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> VV> with current cvs version any attempt to send a message with 8-bit
> VV> cyrillic text leads to sending it in internal mule encoding
> VV> instead of mime encoding (mime headers are okay).
>
> Where did you put the 8-bit cyrillic text? In the body or the subject?
> What is your setting to send it in 8-bit?

I've put it into the body. I did not test whether 8-bit text is broken
in the subject with current cvs version (as it is in the body).

I've gotten the current cvs version and run gnus with the following
~/.emacs file (no ~/.gnus), and the behavior seems to be still broken:
cyrillic text in the body of this message (in the quote below) is sent
not in koi8-r but in internal mule encoding.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 1328 bytes --]

> Test text: ▄╥▄т▄Ю▄п▄р▄А▄Б▄р▄Ц▄ы▄Б▄у!
>
> The test Cyrillic text of this message should be encoded in 8-bit. So
> does the text in the subject.

Best,
v.

* Re: current cvs version is badly BROKEN (test: Здравствуйте!)
@ 2000-05-04 14:59     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-05-04 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

VV> I've put it into the body. I did not test whether 8-bit text is broken
VV> in the subject with current cvs version (as it is in the body).

VV> I've gotten the current cvs version and run gnus with the following
VV> ~/.emacs file (no ~/.gnus), and the behavior seems to be still broken:
VV> cyrillic text in the body of this message (in the quote below) is sent
VV> not in koi8-r but in internal mule encoding.

I can not reproduce the bug.  Did you use unplugged mode to send the
mail?  Anyway, you can trace message-encode-message-body to see what
happens in the buffer " message temp". The body is supposed to be
encoded as 8-bit text.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: current cvs version is badly BROKEN (test: ·ÔàÐÒáâÒãÙâÕ!)
@ 2000-05-04 20:30       ` Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 2000-05-04 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ZSH" == Shenghuo ZHU writes:

 ZSH> I can not reproduce the bug.  Did you use unplugged mode to send
 ZSH> the mail?

no, i used exactly the same ~/.emacs file as i've sent to you in
previous mail. my gessages are sent via smtp server (see
custom-set-variables in that file).

 ZSH> Anyway, you can trace message-encode-message-body to see what
 ZSH> happens in the buffer " message temp". The body is supposed to
 ZSH> be encoded as 8-bit text.

i'll try tomorrow...

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

* Re: current cvs version is badly BROKEN
@ 2000-05-04 21:04         ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-05-04 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

VV> "ZSH" == Shenghuo ZHU writes:
ZSH> I can not reproduce the bug.  Did you use unplugged mode to send
ZSH> the mail?

VV> no, i used exactly the same ~/.emacs file as i've sent to you in
VV> previous mail. my gessages are sent via smtp server (see
VV> custom-set-variables in that file).

ZSH> Anyway, you can trace message-encode-message-body to see what
ZSH> happens in the buffer " message temp". The body is supposed to
ZSH> be encoded as 8-bit text.

VV> i'll try tomorrow...

Got it. It is because smtp-send-it uses a multibyte buffer to copy the
encoded 8-bit message from Gnus, which results double-decoded.  Some
workarounds are needed.

--

@ 2000-05-04 21:24         ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-05-04 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

VV> "ZSH" == Shenghuo ZHU writes:
ZSH> I can not reproduce the bug.  Did you use unplugged mode to send
ZSH> the mail?

VV> no, i used exactly the same ~/.emacs file as i've sent to you in
VV> previous mail. my gessages are sent via smtp server (see
VV> custom-set-variables in that file).

ZSH> Anyway, you can trace message-encode-message-body to see what
ZSH> happens in the buffer " message temp". The body is supposed to
ZSH> be encoded as 8-bit text.

VV> i'll try tomorrow...

Fixed. Note that you need recompile message.el too.

--
Shenghuo