* gnus mime external display question
@ 2001-01-03 11:10 Gregory Chernov
From: Gregory Chernov @ 2001-01-03 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I always wanted to read archived attachments (tar, zip etc.)
inside gnus/xemacs. Maybe I'm reinventing the wheel but
simplest way do it for me is to use gnuclient.
I added new type to mailcap-mime-data:

("gnuclient"
  (viewer . "gnuclient %s")
  (type   . "application/gnuclient")
  (test   . (eq (mm-device-type) 'x))
  ("needsx11"))

and now with "view as type" application/gnuclient
I can browse tar/zip attachments inside xemacs.

Only problem is when I close client, temporary files
/tmp/emm.* are not deleted.

Maybe somebody who understands how external display
in gnus is worked can help me with this problem or
at least say in which gnus files/functions I should
look to solve it.

* Re: gnus mime external display question
@ 2001-01-05  5:37 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-05  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory Chernov <greg@visiontech-dml.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I always wanted to read archived attachments (tar, zip etc.)
> inside gnus/xemacs. Maybe I'm reinventing the wheel but
> simplest way do it for me is to use gnuclient.
> I added new type to mailcap-mime-data:
>
> ("gnuclient"
>   (viewer . "gnuclient %s")
>   (type   . "application/gnuclient")
>   (test   . (eq (mm-device-type) 'x))
>   ("needsx11"))
>

> and now with "view as type" application/gnuclient
> I can browse tar/zip attachments inside xemacs.
>
> Only problem is when I close client, temporary files
> /tmp/emm.* are not deleted.

When you select another article, the temporary files will be deleted.

ShengHuo

* Re: gnus mime external display question
@ 2001-01-05 10:42   ` Gregory Chernov
From: Gregory Chernov @ 2001-01-05 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Gregory Chernov <greg@visiontech-dml.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I always wanted to read archived attachments (tar, zip etc.)
> > inside gnus/xemacs. Maybe I'm reinventing the wheel but
> > simplest way do it for me is to use gnuclient.
> > I added new type to mailcap-mime-data:
> >
> > ("gnuclient"
> >   (viewer . "gnuclient %s")
> >   (type   . "application/gnuclient")
> >   (test   . (eq (mm-device-type) 'x))
> >   ("needsx11"))
> >

> > and now with "view as type" application/gnuclient
> > I can browse tar/zip attachments inside xemacs.
> >
> > Only problem is when I close client, temporary files
> > /tmp/emm.* are not deleted.
>
> When you select another article, the temporary files will be deleted.

This is exactly the problem. When I use external display on
images with xv, pdf's with acroread, etc. temporary files are deleted.
But when I use gnuclient as a viewer, temporary files stay
even when I exit xemacs.

* Re: gnus mime external display question
@ 2001-01-09  6:58     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-09  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory Chernov <greg@visiontech-dml.com> writes:

> This is exactly the problem. When I use external display on
> images with xv, pdf's with acroread, etc. temporary files are deleted.
> But when I use gnuclient as a viewer, temporary files stay
> even when I exit xemacs.

Fixed in oGnus v0.01.

ShengHuo