* [gnus.gnus-bug] "Sending news..." status messages has arguments reversed
@ 2002-02-15 13:21 ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-02-15 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Any comment?

ShengHuo

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1959 bytes --]

From: Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Subject: "Sending news..." status messages has arguments reversed
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:07:09 +0100

Oort Gnus v0.05
GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2001-11-04 on emma1
200 emma.line.org InterNetNews server INN 2.2.3 18-Jul-2000 ready

I just saw

"sending news with localhost via nntp"

Shouldn't it rather be

"sending news via localhost with nntp"?

(along the lines that RFC-2822 Received: lines suggest)

If so, please fix.

--
Matthias Andree

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] "Sending news..." status messages has arguments reversed
@ 2002-02-15 14:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-15 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Any comment?
>
> "sending news with localhost via nntp"
> "sending news via localhost with nntp"?

Maybe "sending news to localhost via nntp"?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] "Sending news..." status messages has arguments reversed
@ 2002-02-15 14:43   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2002-02-15 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Any comment?
>>
>> "sending news with localhost via nntp"
>> "sending news via localhost with nntp"?
>
> Maybe "sending news to localhost via nntp"?

As a native English speaker, I think that the following would be the
most correct:

 sending news via localhost by means of nntp

The use of "to" implies in English that the ultimate destination of the
item is localhost, but that's not precisely true.  The news server on
localhost is an agent which propogates the news, and therefore "via" is
the proper word.  The second preposition could also be "via", but then
we'd have two "vias".  The use of "by means of" solves that problem,
since that second "via" has this exact meaning.

HTH

- (signed) Mr. Grammar Geek

> kai
> --
> ~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] "Sending news..." status messages has arguments reversed
@ 2002-02-15 14:47 ` IPmonger
From: IPmonger @ 2002-02-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I just saw
>
> "sending news with localhost via nntp"
>
> Shouldn't it rather be
>
> "sending news via localhost with nntp"?
>
> (along the lines that RFC-2822 Received: lines suggest)

    Since this is an internal status message from Gnus (it is, isn't
  it?), it is correct.  From Gnus' point of view the "via" indicates
  the back end method (nntp) and the "with" indicates the destination
  server.

    Perhaps the "with" should be changed to "to" and the "via" to "using":

    "sending news to localhost using nntp"

   Or, perhaps I should get a news feed set up so that I can stop
  mouthing off about methods that I don't use.  :-)

-IPmonger
--
------------------
IPmonger

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] "Sending news..." status messages has arguments reversed
@ 2002-02-15 14:52     ` IPmonger
From: IPmonger @ 2002-02-15 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

>  sending news via localhost by means of nntp

    Hoping to avoid potential grammar flames, I'd modify my suggestion
  to be:

    sending news via localhost using nntp

-IPmonger
--
------------------
IPmonger

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] "Sending news..." status messages has arguments reversed
@ 2002-02-15 16:05       ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2002-02-15 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

IPmonger <ipmonger@delamancha.org> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>>  sending news via localhost by means of nntp
>
>     Hoping to avoid potential grammar flames, I'd modify my suggestion
>   to be:
>
>     sending news via localhost using nntp

Ah ... "using" is even better than "by means of".

And so ... I agree.

... no grammar flames :)

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: [gnus.gnus-bug] "Sending news..." status messages has arguments reversed
@ 2002-02-16 23:03         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-02-16 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> IPmonger <ipmonger@delamancha.org> writes:
>
>> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>>
>>>  sending news via localhost by means of nntp
>>
>>     Hoping to avoid potential grammar flames, I'd modify my suggestion
>>   to be:
>>
>>     sending news via localhost using nntp
>
> Ah ... "using" is even better than "by means of".
>
> And so ... I agree.
>
> ... no grammar flames :)

Changed.

ShengHuo