* webmail, pop and firewall
@ 2000-12-03 10:35 dave
From: dave @ 2000-12-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slightly off topic, but....

A while back there was a thread about accessing Yahoo mail via POP w/
firewall support (by ShengHuo Zhu) instead of using webmail.

Anybody got this up and working?  I connect to the proxy server but
the result is (from the POP session trace buffer):

    HTTP/1.0 407 Proxy authorization required
    Proxy-agent: Netscape-Proxy/3.53
    Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 09:10:03 GMT
    Proxy-authenticate: basic realm="SPS WWW Gateway"

    <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Proxy authorization required</TITLE></HEAD>
    <BODY><H1>Proxy authorization required</H1>
    Username authentication is required for using this proxy.
    Either your browser does not perform proxy authorization, or your
    authorization has failed.
    </BODY></HTML>
    Process POP exited abnormally with code 256

My settings are:
    (setq firewall-gateway-host "proxy.foo.com")
    (setq firewall-gateway-port 80)
    (setq firewall-user-name "username")
    (setq firewall-password "secret")
    (ad-activate 'open-network-stream)
    (setq firewall-gateway-function-list
      '(firewall-gateway-send-connect
        firewall-gateway-wait-http))

I tried to connect without the username and/or password hoping that I
would be prompted (like w3 accesses) but no such luck.

Any ideas?

--
-David
E. David Bell                       |           dave@cavalry.com

* Re: webmail, pop and firewall
@ 2000-12-03 14:25 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-12-03 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

dave@cavalry.com writes:

> Slightly off topic, but....
>
> A while back there was a thread about accessing Yahoo mail via POP w/
> firewall support (by ShengHuo Zhu) instead of using webmail.
>
> Anybody got this up and working?  I connect to the proxy server but
> the result is (from the POP session trace buffer):

The new version firewall.el supports HTTP proxy authorization.  You
could get it from http://www.cs.rochester.edu/~zsh/files/firewall.el .
Hope it works.

ShengHuo