* Duplicates/Loops in Summary Buffer
@ 2002-02-10 10:54 Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2002-02-10 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using the latest CVS, I am seeing a problem in the Summary Buffer (so
far only with nntp backend.) Some articles appear twice, either
immediately following one another, or the 2nd comes after replies to
the first (the sub-thread is not repeated, only the one article.)
This introduces a "loop" where trying to enter the 2nd occurrence
takes you (in the summary buffer) back to the first. So you cannot use
<space> or 'n' to leave the article, as these cause it to be
displayed again. The first occurrence is marked 'R' but the 2nd one
has no mark (unread).

Here is an example.
O  +   148                           [  34: Fishfood            ]
O  +   142                              [  25: Simon               ]
O  +   142                                 [  11: Alexis Manning      ]
R. +   148                                    [  22: Fishfood            ]
 . +   148                                    [  22: Fishfood            ]
O  +   145                                 [  42: dormouse            ]

Are there any diagnostics I can take to help identify the cause?

* Re: Duplicates/Loops in Summary Buffer
@ 2002-02-10 19:52 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-02-10 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Here is an example.
> O  +   148                           [  34: Fishfood            ]
> O  +   142                              [  25: Simon               ]
> O  +   142                                 [  11: Alexis Manning      ]
> R. +   148                                    [  22: Fishfood            ]
>  . +   148                                    [  22: Fishfood            ]
> O  +   145                                 [  42: dormouse            ]
>
> Are there any diagnostics I can take to help identify the cause?

You could take a look at the " *nntpd*" buffer after entering the
group.  (C-x b C-q SPC *nntpd* RET)  If the duplicate shows up there
as well, then there's something wrong with nntp.el or your news
server.  If not, then the problem is somewhere else in Gnus.

paul

* Re: Duplicates/Loops in Summary Buffer
@ 2002-02-13  3:27 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-02-13  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Using the latest CVS, I am seeing a problem in the Summary Buffer (so
> far only with nntp backend.) Some articles appear twice, either
> immediately following one another, or the 2nd comes after replies to
> the first (the sub-thread is not repeated, only the one article.)
> This introduces a "loop" where trying to enter the 2nd occurrence
> takes you (in the summary buffer) back to the first. So you cannot use
> <space> or 'n' to leave the article, as these cause it to be
> displayed again. The first occurrence is marked 'R' but the 2nd one
> has no mark (unread).
>
> Here is an example.
> O  +   148                           [  34: Fishfood            ]
> O  +   142                              [  25: Simon               ]
> O  +   142                                 [  11: Alexis Manning      ]
> R. +   148                                    [  22: Fishfood            ]
>  . +   148                                    [  22: Fishfood            ]
> O  +   145                                 [  42: dormouse            ]
>
> Are there any diagnostics I can take to help identify the cause?

Could you send the evaluation result of gnus-newsgroup-data to
bugs@gnus.org after entering such a Summary buffer?

ShengHuo