* Replying with the same charset as the original article
@ 2000-12-23 17:52 Georges KO
From: Georges KO @ 2000-12-23 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hello,

    I would like to reply with the same charset as the original
article. Currently, there's gnus-default-posting-charset, but it is
seems not possible to say "same as the answered article". Actually, I
would like to use it in mail groups, where I have groups with more
than one charset. gnus-default-posting-charset could be something like
'current.

    Georges.
--
 Georges KO (Taipei, Taiwan)                                      gko@gko.net
                                                    Dimanche 24 decembre 2000

* Re: Replying with the same charset as the original article
@ 2000-12-24  6:16 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-12-24  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georges KO <gko@gko.net> writes:

>     Hello,
>
>     I would like to reply with the same charset as the original
> article. Currently, there's gnus-default-posting-charset,

The variable is bogus.

> but it is seems not possible to say "same as the answered
> article". Actually, I would like to use it in mail groups, where I
> have groups with more than one charset. gnus-default-posting-charset
> could be something like 'current.

What are those charsets?  Do they share some characters except ASCII
ones?

ShengHuo

* Re: Replying with the same charset as the original article
@ 2000-12-24 19:07   ` Georges KO
From: Georges KO @ 2000-12-24 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> >     I would like to reply with the same charset as the original
> > article. Currently, there's gnus-default-posting-charset,
>
> The variable is bogus.

    You mean, it is not used ?

> > but it is seems not possible to say "same as the answered
> > article". Actually, I would like to use it in mail groups, where I
> > have groups with more than one charset. gnus-default-posting-charset
> > could be something like 'current.
>
> What are those charsets?  Do they share some characters except ASCII
> ones?

    When I do a follow-up or reply, if there are Chinese characters
like in Big5 in the header (From:), then the To: in the composing
buffer is displayed as 8-bit characters... Also, the "XXX writes",
where XXX is extracted from the From:, have 8-bit characters too...
--
 Georges KO (Taipei, Taiwan)      2000-12-25      gko@gko.net / ICQ: 8719684
                                                       Lundi 25 decembre 2000

* Re: Replying with the same charset as the original article
@ 2000-12-28 18:35     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-12-28 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gko

Georges KO <gko@gko.net> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
> > >     I would like to reply with the same charset as the original
> > > article. Currently, there's gnus-default-posting-charset,
> >
> > The variable is bogus.
>
>     You mean, it is not used ?

Not used.

> > > but it is seems not possible to say "same as the answered
> > > article". Actually, I would like to use it in mail groups, where I
> > > have groups with more than one charset. gnus-default-posting-charset
> > > could be something like 'current.
> >
> > What are those charsets?  Do they share some characters except ASCII
> > ones?
>
>     When I do a follow-up or reply, if there are Chinese characters
> like in Big5 in the header (From:), then the To: in the composing
> buffer is displayed as 8-bit characters... Also, the "XXX writes",
> where XXX is extracted from the From:, have 8-bit characters too...

It is because you did not setup the group charset right. By default,
the group charset is iso8859-1, so what you see is not 8-bit
characters, but iso-8859-1 characters.  To setup the default group
charset, you can configure the charset parameter (maybe also
ignored-charsets) in the group parameters.  Once you set it to big5,
you can always see Chinese in the From header, also To: field when you
reply.  To override the default charset temporarily, you could type `0
G cn-big5 RET' on the message.

ShengHuo