* Delay in opening groups
@ 2000-05-12 18:39 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-05-12 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Running a somewhat oldish 5.8.4
Over time I've noticed gnus taking an increasing amount of time to
open groups.  At this point a group of some 2-3000 messages might take
30-40 sec. to open.  This seems a little overdone.

I do have lots of coloring going on and have gnus dredging up 2
additional headers to add to nov files.  Not sure what else may be
taking time, but watching the cpu resources as gnus loads a summary
buffer, I see it hit the ceiling and show 99% usage, on a 400Mhz
processor.

Thats pretty heavy duty processing, is it just the price tag for the
all the nicety's or is it likely something is misconfigured to be
causing that much cpu usage?

* Re: Delay in opening groups
@ 2000-05-12 22:11 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-05-12 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry> Running a somewhat oldish 5.8.4 Over time I've noticed gnus
Harry> taking an increasing amount of time to open groups.  At this
Harry> point a group of some 2-3000 messages might take 30-40 sec. to
Harry> open.  This seems a little overdone.

Harry> I do have lots of coloring going on and have gnus dredging up 2
Harry> additional headers to add to nov files.  Not sure what else may
Harry> be taking time, but watching the cpu resources as gnus loads a
Harry> summary buffer, I see it hit the ceiling and show 99% usage, on
Harry> a 400Mhz processor.

Harry> Thats pretty heavy duty processing, is it just the price tag
Harry> for the all the nicety's or is it likely something is
Harry> misconfigured to be causing that much cpu usage?

I think RFC2047 decoding is the one of the reasons.

--
Shenghuo