* drafts/queue todays cvs -- does it work?
@ 2000-11-13  0:44 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-11-13  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Setting up a new machine and had occasion to download latest cvs today
on first usages I see no messages being shown in drafts/queue although
I've sent a few there, by sending while unplugged.  Gnus dutifully
sends them to drafts/queue and then promptly forgets they are there.

Pressing `g' shows no messages in drafts/queue and attempting to enter
gives the message:

  Retrieving newsgroup: nndraft:queue...

  Couldn't request group nndraft:queue:

 `ls' shows two present:

    $ ls News/drafts/queue
    1  2

The group appears with an asterisk:

       *: nndraft:queue

`G E' on the group shows:

("nndraft:queue" 1 nil nil
 (nndraft "")
 ((gnus-dummy
   (gnus-draft-mode))))

I did get a core dump and error 2 when compiling the new sources.

The end of `./configure && make' looked like:
[...]
   Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-soup.elc
   Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-spec.elc
   Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-srvr.elc
   Fatal error (11).make[1]: *** [all] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
   make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gnus/lisp'
   make: *** [lick] Error 2

* Re: drafts/queue todays cvs -- does it work?
@ 2000-11-13  1:12 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-13  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Setting up a new machine and had occasion to download latest cvs today
> on first usages I see no messages being shown in drafts/queue although
> I've sent a few there, by sending while unplugged.  Gnus dutifully
> sends them to drafts/queue and then promptly forgets they are there.
>
> Pressing `g' shows no messages in drafts/queue and attempting to enter
> gives the message:
>
>   Retrieving newsgroup: nndraft:queue...
>
>   Couldn't request group nndraft:queue:

Do you use any nnmh server?

Could you check the value of nnmh-directory after typing `M-g' on the
nndraft:queue?

> I did get a core dump and error 2 when compiling the new sources.
>
> The end of `./configure && make' looked like:
> [...]
>    Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-soup.elc
>    Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-spec.elc
>    Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-srvr.elc
>    Fatal error (11).make[1]: *** [all] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gnus/lisp'
>    make: *** [lick] Error 2

You'd better report an Emacs bug, `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

ShengHuo

* Re: drafts/queue todays cvs -- does it work?
@ 2000-11-13  2:33   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-11-13  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> > Setting up a new machine and had occasion to download latest cvs today
> > on first usages I see no messages being shown in drafts/queue although
> > I've sent a few there, by sending while unplugged.  Gnus dutifully
> > sends them to drafts/queue and then promptly forgets they are there.
> >
> > Pressing `g' shows no messages in drafts/queue and attempting to enter
> > gives the message:
> >
> >   Retrieving newsgroup: nndraft:queue...
> >
> >   Couldn't request group nndraft:queue:
>
> Do you use any nnmh server?
>
> Could you check the value of nnmh-directory after typing `M-g' on the
> nndraft:queue?

I don't use any nnmh servers.  My server buffer looks like:

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nndir:/home/reader/projects/awk/search-work/monty/} (opened)
     {nnvirtual:^$\|\(^nnml:net1$\)\|\(^nnml:ptw$\)} (opened)
     {nndir:~/spool/ping/} (denied)
     {nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
     {nndir:~/spool/backup/} (opened)
     {nndraft:} (opened)
     {nnml:} (opened)
     {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened)

However, oddly enough the value requested shows an nnmh directory that
is a directory where I conduct experimental work with search tools I'm
working on.  Not a message directory at all.  And I'm certain I never
created an nnmh group of any kind.

`C-h v' nnmh-directory <RET>

nnmh-directory's value is
"/home/reader/projects/awk/search-work/"

Documentation:
*Mail spool directory.

Defined in `nnmh'.

> > I did get a core dump and error 2 when compiling the new sources.
> >
> > The end of `./configure && make' looked like:
> > [...]
> >    Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-soup.elc
> >    Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-spec.elc
> >    Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-srvr.elc
> >    Fatal error (11).make[1]: *** [all] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gnus/lisp'
> >    make: *** [lick] Error 2
>
> You'd better report an Emacs bug, `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

So are you saying that the error above is not related to something in
the latest cvs distribution?

* Re: drafts/queue todays cvs -- does it work?
@ 2000-11-13  3:11     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-11-13  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> However, oddly enough the value requested shows an nnmh directory that
> is a directory where I conduct experimental work with search tools I'm
> working on.  Not a message directory at all.  And I'm certain I never
> created an nnmh group of any kind.
>
> `C-h v' nnmh-directory <RET>
>
> nnmh-directory's value is
> "/home/reader/projects/awk/search-work/"

Both nndir and nndraft are derived from nnmh.  nnmh-directory is an
"oo" variable.  "oo" variables are copied between a derived backend
and its parent backend.  If your search tools are backends, you should
use nnoo-change-server and nnoo-parent-function to access the parent
backends.  If you just want to set "oo" variables, you should use
nnoo-set (only valid in the recent CVS).

> > > I did get a core dump and error 2 when compiling the new sources.
> > >
> > > The end of `./configure && make' looked like:
> > > [...]
> > >    Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-soup.elc
> > >    Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-spec.elc
> > >    Wrote /usr/local/gnus/lisp/gnus-srvr.elc
> > >    Fatal error (11).make[1]: *** [all] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> > >    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gnus/lisp'
> > >    make: *** [lick] Error 2
> >
> > You'd better report an Emacs bug, `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>
> So are you saying that the error above is not related to something in
> the latest cvs distribution?

Right.

ShengHuo