* Expected behavior? (Deleting all mail)
@ 1999-01-28 23:43 Thomas Skogestad
From: Thomas Skogestad @ 1999-01-28 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

After several years of living in total darkness, I decided to add some
mail splitting.

Nothing fancy, just something like

(setq nnmail-split-methods
  '(("mail.junk" "^From:.*Thomas Skogestad")
    ("mail.misc" "")))

Now. I sent myself a test mail, restarted Gnus, Gnus complained about
the junk directory not existing. Gnus then (or just before) decided to
garblygook gnarf my mail. It deleted _everything_. Instead of having a
misc dir with lotsa mail, I got an empty junk directory. Is Gnus
supposed to behave this way?

(One is not supposed to RTFM, is one?)

(To preserve my sanity, thankfully there's a backup taken of all my
files saved on a Unix-server -- daily. Thankfully I've been saving all
mail on one of those machines.)

--
Q. What's the difference between a police officer in San Francisco and
   a police officer in Los Angeles?

* Re: Expected behavior? (Deleting all mail)
@ 1999-02-01 21:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Skogestad <tskogest@jusstud.uio.no> writes:

> Now. I sent myself a test mail, restarted Gnus, Gnus complained about
> the junk directory not existing. Gnus then (or just before) decided to
> garblygook gnarf my mail. It deleted _everything_.

I don't believe that is possible.

> Instead of having a misc dir with lotsa mail, I got an empty junk
> directory. Is Gnus supposed to behave this way?

Was the misc dir gone?  Did you, by any chance, hit `C-u G DEL y e s'
by mistake.

* Re: Expected behavior? (Deleting all mail)
@ 1999-02-16  9:53   ` Thomas Skogestad
From: Thomas Skogestad @ 1999-02-16  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

| I don't believe that is possible.

Well, shit still happens.

| Was the misc dir gone?

Yes, I believe so.

| Did you, by any chance, hit `C-u G DEL y e s' by mistake.

I find that very hard to believe. Do these punches to the keyboard try
to import new mail?

--
thomas.skogestad@jusstud.uio.no
http://www.uio.no/~tfredvik/images/fallos.jpg

* Re: Expected behavior? (Deleting all mail)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-19 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Skogestad <tskogest@jusstud.uio.no> writes:

> | Did you, by any chance, hit `C-u G DEL y e s' by mistake.
>
> I find that very hard to believe. Do these punches to the keyboard try
> to import new mail?

Nope.