* bogofilter documentation
@ 2003-06-10 10:20 Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-06-10 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

The Bogofilter node in gnus.info claims:

     "Bogofilter determines if a message is spam based on an internal
     threshold, set at compilation time.  That threshold can't be
     customized."

This information is outdated, please adjust or remove; current
bogofilter versions support configuration files and command line flags
to customize the ham/spam cutoff. Greg Louis has a web site with
background information at http://www.bgl.nu/bogofilter/

Thanks.

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: bogofilter documentation
@ 2003-06-10 15:03 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-06-10 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Bogofilter node in gnus.info claims:
>
>      "Bogofilter determines if a message is spam based on an
>      internal threshold, set at compilation time.  That threshold
>      can't be customized."
>
> This information is outdated, please adjust or remove; current
> bogofilter versions support configuration files and command line
> flags to customize the ham/spam cutoff. Greg Louis has a web site
> with background information at http://www.bgl.nu/bogofilter/

Are you or someone else using Bogofilter interested in not only fixing
the docs, but adding code to use that threshold?  Alternatively, let
me know the flag and I'll try to get it done.  I couldn't find the
relevant info in the URL you mention above, sorry.

Ted

* Re: bogofilter documentation
@ 2003-06-11 13:09   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-06-11 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Are you or someone else using Bogofilter interested in not only fixing
> the docs, but adding code to use that threshold?  Alternatively, let
> me know the flag and I'll try to get it done.  I couldn't find the
> relevant info in the URL you mention above, sorry.

The information you're looking for is at
http://www.bgl.nu/bogofilter/tuning.html

The whole process is somewhat tricky, while it does not exhibit outright
catastrophic behaviour (in the physical sense), it is delicate, I'd
encourage that the user sees through his bogofilter documentation
(current versions ship more material and helper scripts on tuning,
remember, bogofilter has yet to see 1.0) rather than dump some figures
on the command line. Patience is an important virtue when dealing with
learning filters -- and training.

As bogofilter reads configuration files in a particular order, the user
can just edit his ~/.bogofilter.cf to suit his needs and after the docs
in /etc/bogofilter.cf.example, there's no need to figure gnus.

I just wanted to point out that the hint that the spam cutoff were
compiled-in is no longer true.

--

@ 2003-06-11 16:36     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-06-11 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> Are you or someone else using Bogofilter interested in not only
>> fixing the docs, but adding code to use that threshold?
>> Alternatively, let me know the flag and I'll try to get it done.  I
>> couldn't find the relevant info in the URL you mention above,
>> sorry.
>
> I just wanted to point out that the hint that the spam cutoff were
> compiled-in is no longer true.

The manual is fixed.  If you or other Bogofilter users have features
you want in spam.el in the future, let me know and I'll do my best to
help implement them.

Thanks
Ted