* backend question: how to detect new articles
@ 2003-04-17 19:13 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-17 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I tell what articles are new when entering any group?  I think
this can be done with the newsrc-alist, but I'm not sure how.

I need this so I have a generic way to mark new articles in a group
as spam in spam.el.  Currently, any unread articles in a spam group
are marked as spam, which is OK but I'd like to give users a choice.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: backend question: how to detect new articles
@ 2003-04-17 19:56 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2003-04-17 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> How can I tell what articles are new when entering any group?  I think
> this can be done with the newsrc-alist, but I'm not sure how.

What does "new" mean?  Lacking the 'seen mark?  Having the 'recent
mark?  If it means something like "added to the group since the last
time you checked for \"new\" articles", then I think there's no
built-in way to discover that; you'd have to maintain a duplicate
article list and compare it to the current list yourself.

paul

* Re: backend question: how to detect new articles
@ 2003-04-17 20:29   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-17 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, prj@po.cwru.edu wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> How can I tell what articles are new when entering any group?  I
>> think this can be done with the newsrc-alist, but I'm not sure how.
>
> What does "new" mean?  Lacking the 'seen mark?  Having the 'recent
> mark?  If it means something like "added to the group since the last
> time you checked for \"new\" articles", then I think there's no
> built-in way to discover that; you'd have to maintain a duplicate
> article list and compare it to the current list yourself.

Oh, I see what you mean.  The goal is to mark unseen messages as spam,
so the 'seen mark will do nicely - I'll use the gnus-newsgroup-unseen
list, which seems to be perfect for the job.

@ 2003-04-17 20:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-17 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> How can I tell what articles are new when entering any group?

%R in gnus-summary-line-format is a dot (or sometimes N) for new
articles.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* spam.el unssen/unread articles in spam groups behavior modification (was: backend question: how to detect new articles)
@ 2003-04-18 17:53     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-18 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, spam.el now has the variable spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam which
is t by default.  This means that only *unseen* articles will be
marked as spam when you enter a spam group.  Set it to nil to get the
old behavior of setting all *unread* articles marked as spam.  I think
the new behavior is more useful, since it does what the old behavior
did but leaves articles you've unmarked alone, that's why I set
spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam to t by default.

Let me know if you notice any problems.

Thanks for the help!
Ted