* synchronizing news on multiple clients
@ 2003-05-12 19:54 John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2003-05-12 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure this is a fairly well-known problem, but I didn't see it in a
quick trip through the manual ...

I read news on my desktop machine, and use a Samba-mounted home
directory to store my .newsrc and its variants. Sometimes I read news
through a terminal on the Samba host and also use the same files. Gnus
plays nicely with these.

I would also like to use my laptop to read news. It can't mount my
home directory. How do I synchronize my .newsrc files between the two
gnuses? Must I manually run rsync or something like it to get the
relevant files from my home directory? Could this be done
automagically by gnus (what would be nice is if, when I called gnus,
it would ssh over to my server, grab the files, and use them, then put
them back when I quit gnus).

(This isn't a problem with imap and mail, I hope - I figure the magic
imap server will do the right thing.)

Thanks -

JDO

* Re: synchronizing news on multiple clients
@ 2003-05-13 16:51 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-13 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Owens <jowens@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I would also like to use my laptop to read news. It can't mount my
> home directory. How do I synchronize my .newsrc files between the two
> gnuses? Must I manually run rsync or something like it to get the
> relevant files from my home directory? Could this be done
> automagically by gnus (what would be nice is if, when I called gnus,
> it would ssh over to my server, grab the files, and use them, then put
> them back when I quit gnus).

Yeah, manual synchronization of the relevant config files is the only
thing that's available at the moment, I'm afraid.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: synchronizing news on multiple clients
@ 2003-05-13 18:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-05-13 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Owens <jowens@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I would also like to use my laptop to read news. It can't mount my
> home directory. How do I synchronize my .newsrc files between the two
> gnuses? Must I manually run rsync or something like it to get the
> relevant files from my home directory?

Yes, I think so.  Someone discussed putting the .newsrc files on an
LDAP server or the like, but I don't think anybody actually did
anything in that direction.

* Re: synchronizing news on multiple clients
@ 2003-05-20 18:33   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-05-20 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, larsi@gnus.org wrote:
> John Owens <jowens@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
>> I would also like to use my laptop to read news. It can't mount my
>> home directory. How do I synchronize my .newsrc files between the
>> two gnuses? Must I manually run rsync or something like it to get
>> the relevant files from my home directory?
>
> Yes, I think so.  Someone discussed putting the .newsrc files on an
> LDAP server or the like, but I don't think anybody actually did
> anything in that direction.

I'm working on an IMAP backend for file storage, which should be able
to store any text data.  I want to use it for synchronization among
other things.  It's far from done though - if anyone wants to pick it
up, I'll send it over.  I got the underlying stuff done, file-exists-p
working, and was about to do read/write when other work came up.

Ted