* Feature Req: set vacation for mailing lists in bulk
@ 2002-04-13 15:40 Karra
From: Karra @ 2002-04-13 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do people handle the problem of setting vacation flags for tens of
mailinglists in a sensible and easy manner.

It would be great if we have a single command
gnus-set-lists-on-vacation that will frob some suitable variable *and*
setup some stuff to automatically handle any confirmation requests as
well (maybe emit some procmail recipes as a last resort....)

--
"Have you ever fought an IDEA, Picard?"
      -- Gowron, Star Trek TNG.

@ 2002-04-13 18:52 ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-04-13 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Karra quotation:

> How do people handle the problem of setting vacation flags for tens of
> mailinglists in a sensible and easy manner.

I don't.  Sending at most one automatic vacation message in response
to private mail is fine, but mailing lists do not need to be cluttered
up with worthless "I am on vacation, if you need anything, please
contact Sheila across the hall or John in Accounting" messages.  If
the people on certain mailing lists *need* to know you are on
vacation, please take five minutes and write them a personal note.
They will appreciate it.

--
 /////////////////  |                  | The spark of a pin
<sneakums@zork.net> |  (require 'gnu)  | dropping, falling feather-like.

* Re: Feature Req: set vacation for mailing lists in bulk
@ 2002-04-13 20:23   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2002-04-13 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Neakums <sneakums@zork.net> writes:
> commence  Karra quotation:

>> How do people handle the problem of setting vacation flags for tens of
>> mailinglists in a sensible and easy manner.

> I don't.  Sending at most one automatic vacation message in response to
> private mail is fine, but mailing lists do not need to be cluttered up
> with worthless "I am on vacation, if you need anything, please contact
> Sheila across the hall or John in Accounting" messages.  If the people
> on certain mailing lists *need* to know you are on vacation, please take
> five minutes and write them a personal note.  They will appreciate it.

Er, I don't think you're familiar with what the original poster is talking
about.  The "vacation flag" is a list setting that leaves you subscribes
but that temporarily suspends having the list send you mail.  It's a
LISTSERV feature originally (and that's where the naming comes from).

@ 2002-04-13 20:44     ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-04-13 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Russ Allbery quotation:

> Er, I don't think you're familiar with what the original poster is
> talking about.  The "vacation flag" is a list setting that leaves
> you subscribes but that temporarily suspends having the list send
> you mail.  It's a LISTSERV feature originally (and that's where the
> naming comes from).

Ah, I didn't know about that.  I just let the mail pile up.  My bad.