* Suggestion: composing mails while in *Group*
@ 2002-02-07 18:47 Deepak Goel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Deepak Goel @ 2002-02-07 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

If i type "a" for article when in *Group* buffer, i am put into a
*mail* but with the newsgroup field not filled in..

Wouldn't it be nice if gnus fills in the newsgroup at which the point
currently resides in the *Group* buffer..  And if the point happens
to be on a *mail* buffer, then gnus could choose the newsgroup nearest
to point..

Similarly, context-sensitive filling in of "To:" when pressing m for
mails would be cool too..

And of course, if someone does not like that, there could  be a
variable that could turn these featured off..

* Re: Suggestion: composing mails while in *Group*
@ 2002-02-07 19:00 ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2002-02-07 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 25 Shevat 5762, Deepak Goel wrote:

> If i type "a" for article when in *Group* buffer, i am put into a
> *mail* but with the newsgroup field not filled in..
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if gnus fills in the newsgroup at which the point
> currently resides in the *Group* buffer..

C-u a does this now, I believe.  But I don't know about the rest.

--
Charles Sebold                                      25th of Shevat, 5762

* Re: Suggestion: composing mails while in *Group*
@ 2002-02-07 19:37 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-02-07 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If i type "a" for article when in *Group* buffer, i am put into a
> *mail* but with the newsgroup field not filled in..

> Wouldn't it be nice if gnus fills in the newsgroup at which the
> point currently resides in the *Group* buffer..  And if the point
> happens to be on a *mail* buffer, then gnus could choose the
> newsgroup nearest to point..

Does `C-u a' do what you want?

> Similarly, context-sensitive filling in of "To:" when pressing m for
> mails would be cool too..

Does `C-u a' on a mail group with to-address set in the group
parameters do what you want?

In addition `C-u m' on a group will create an email with an empty
"To:" field, and with the "From:" field determined by posting-styles
for the group under the cursor.

@ 2002-02-08 14:43 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-08 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Deepak Goel <deego@glue.umd.edu> writes:

> Similarly, context-sensitive filling in of "To:" when pressing m for
> mails would be cool too..

If you have a to-list (or to-address?) group parameter, C-u a does
this.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: Suggestion: composing mails while in *Group*
@ 2002-02-08 14:48   ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2002-02-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

commence  Kai Großjohann quotation:

> Deepak Goel <deego@glue.umd.edu> writes:
>> Similarly, context-sensitive filling in of "To:" when pressing m
>> for mails would be cool too..
>
> If you have a to-list (or to-address?) group parameter, C-u a does
> this.

I like the orthogonality of that; everything really *is* a newsgroup!

--
 /////////////////  |                  | The spark of a pin
<sneakums@zork.net> |  (require 'gnu)  | dropping, falling feather-like.

* Re: Suggestion: composing mails while in *Group*
@ 2002-02-08 16:33   ` Deepak Goel
From: Deepak Goel @ 2002-02-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to everyone who followed up and replied.. sorry that i didn't
realize that the functionality already exists..

Have a good day,

Deepak				   <http://www.glue.umd.edu/~deego>