* Help with Thread/Message Sorting
@ 1998-07-14 15:15 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-07-14 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

We just switched to a different mail server (M$ Exchange Server) and now
messages within a thread are sorted with the most recent message appearing
first.  Is there a way for me to have gnus sort threads and messages within a
thread to be in date/time order with earlier messages preceding later ones?

GNU Emacs 20.2.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.4, X toolkit)
 of Mon Dec  1 1997 on clay.principia.com

Gnus v5.6.11; nntp 5.0; nnml 1.0; nnmh 1.0; nndraft 1.0; nnfolder 1.0;
nnimap 0.3.11

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

* Re: Help with Thread/Message Sorting
@ 1998-07-18 19:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-07-18 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> We just switched to a different mail server (M$ Exchange Server) and now
> messages within a thread are sorted with the most recent message appearing
> first.  Is there a way for me to have gnus sort threads and messages within a
> thread to be in date/time order with earlier messages preceding later ones?

Internally inside a gathered thread, articles are sorted over article
numbers.

* Re: Help with Thread/Message Sorting
@ 1998-07-20 17:13   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-07-20 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
    >> We just switched to a different mail server (M$ Exchange Server) and now
    >> messages within a thread are sorted with the most recent message
    >> appearing first.  Is there a way for me to have gnus sort threads and
    >> messages within a thread to be in date/time order with earlier messages
    >> preceding later ones?

    Lars> Internally inside a gathered thread, articles are sorted over article
    Lars> numbers.

Well Exchange Server, unlike Unix-based mail, numbers the articles such that
articles within a thread are diplaying with the most recent messages first.  Is
there, or can there be, a way for articles within a thread to be sorted by date
of posting?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-07-21 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> Well Exchange Server, unlike Unix-based mail, numbers the articles
> such that articles within a thread are diplaying with the most
> recent messages first.

*boggle*

> Is there, or can there be, a way for articles within a thread to be
> sorted by date of posting?

Well, that is on the todo list, but it's unlikely to be implemented
any time soon.

I'd recommend writing a function that reverses the order of the
incoming mail and calling that from `nnmail-read-incoming-hook'.