* pop/sendmail with progress information?
@ 1998-07-14 15:33 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1998-07-14 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone hacked on the POP mail reading code or the sendmail
sending code so that it gives progress info?  I'd like to see
"receiving 1 of 3 messages" or percent done, or something.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | A new scientific truth does not
http://nwalsh.com/                 | triumph by convincing its
                                   | opponents and making them see the
                                   | light, but rather because its
                                   | opponents eventually die, and a
                                   | new generation grows up that is
                                   | familiar with it (Planck 1949)

* Re: pop/sendmail with progress information?
@ 1998-07-14 16:49 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-07-14 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman> Has anyone hacked on the POP mail reading code or the sendmail
Norman> sending code so that it gives progress info?  I'd like to see
Norman> "receiving 1 of 3 messages" or percent done, or something.

The pop3.el code does this for you...

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: pop/sendmail with progress information?
@ 1998-07-14 17:22   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1998-07-14 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

| Norman> Has anyone hacked on the POP mail reading code or the sendmail
| Norman> sending code so that it gives progress info?  I'd like to see
| Norman> "receiving 1 of 3 messages" or percent done, or something.
|
| The pop3.el code does this for you...

Thanks, Wes.  That sent me digging in the right direction.
Turns out I was setting nnmail-movemail-program later in my
.gnus.el file and so (I guess) Emacs movemail, not
pop3-movemail, was doing the actual POP3 I/O.  All better now.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | It can be shown that for any nutty
http://nwalsh.com/                 | theory, beyond-the-fringe

@ 1998-07-14 21:27       ` Norman Walsh
       [not found]       ` <x7btqs3wnr.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Norman Walsh @ 1998-07-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

| Now, Norman, maybe you can share!  :-)
|
| I'm also using POP to access my mail server but do not get progress indication
| as mail is fetched.  What should I be looking at and changing?

I have this in my .gnus.el:

;; Using POP3:
(setq nnmail-spool-file "po:nwalsh")
(setq pop3-password "mypassword")
(setq nnmail-movemail-program 'nnmail-pop3-movemail)
(setenv "MAILHOST" "mymailhost.mydomain.com")

;; Not using POP3: (using my own home-grown, compressing download system ;-)
;(setq nnmail-spool-file "~/.incoming/mail.spool")
;(if (equal system-type 'windows-nt)
;    (setq nnmail-movemail-program
;	  "m:/emacs-19.34/bin/movemail.exe"))

And now it works.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--

@ 1998-07-14 21:31     ` Jake Colman
       [not found]       ` <x7btqs3wnr.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-07-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Norman Walsh

    Norman> Thanks, Wes.  That sent me digging in the right direction. Turns
    Norman> out I was setting nnmail-movemail-program later in my .gnus.el file
    Norman> and so (I guess) Emacs movemail, not pop3-movemail, was doing the
    Norman> actual POP3 I/O.  All better now.

Now, Norman, maybe you can share!  :-)

I'm also using POP to access my mail server but do not get progress indication
as mail is fetched.  What should I be looking at and changing?

Thanx!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

@ 1998-07-15 19:56         ` Jake Colman
       [not found]           ` <x790luvloi.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-07-15 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> Now, Norman, maybe you can share!  :-)

    Rat> Setting up to use pop3.el is *identical* setting up to use movemail,
    Rat> with the aforementioned change to gnus-movemail-program.  You can do
    Rat> fancier stuff, but that is the minimum necessary.

When I make the one simple change to gnus-movemail-program my pop access hangs.
Using standard movemail it works properly.  Any ideas on how I can debug this?

--

@ 1998-07-15 22:40             ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-07-15 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Rat> Sorry, typo on my part.  It is nnmail-movemail-program.  So, if you
    Rat> made the change as I originally, mistakenly suggested, nothing should
    Rat> have changed since Gnus does not use gnus-movemail-program.

Actually, it may have been a typo on my part.  I also meant to say
nnmail-movemail-program also.  In any case, when I do so, gnus hangs while
accessing my POP server.  Any suggestions on how to debug this?  I *am* able to
access POP using regular (gnus default) movemail.