* Re: Adding MIME viewer to variable instead of .mailcap
       [not found] <wtnem9lhd4v.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
@ 2000-03-08 12:56 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-08 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> I want to use "image/gif;showpicture -viewer xli %s; " in my .mailcap
> but only for Gnus (I don't want Netscape to use showpicture but show
> it itself - but that's another story). I know there is a variable I
> can set in my .gnus to get Gnus/MM to use showpicture - but I can't
> find it!

I think it is possible to add a test in .mailcap -- you only need to
find out what is the syntax and what is a test that passes in Gnus but
fails in Netscape.

Anyone?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Adding MIME viewer to variable instead of .mailcap
@ 2000-03-09 13:14   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-09 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:
>> I want to use "image/gif;showpicture -viewer xli %s; " in my .mailcap
>> but only for Gnus (I don't want Netscape to use showpicture but show
>> it itself - but that's another story). I know there is a variable I
>> can set in my .gnus to get Gnus/MM to use showpicture - but I can't
>> find it!

> I think it is possible to add a test in .mailcap -- you only need to
> find out what is the syntax and what is a test that passes in Gnus but
> fails in Netscape.

> Anyone?

The format is defined/suggested in RFC 1524:
	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1524.txt

See also:
	http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/Docs/mailcap.html

* Re: Adding MIME viewer to variable instead of .mailcap
@ 2000-03-09 14:08     ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]       ` <wtnog8m1m58.fsf@lameth.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-09 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > I think it is possible to add a test in .mailcap -- you only need to
> > find out what is the syntax and what is a test that passes in Gnus but
> > fails in Netscape.
>
> > Anyone?
>
> The format is defined/suggested in RFC 1524:
> 	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1524.txt

Ah.  The easiest solution seems to be to put (setenv "EMACS_RUNNING"
"1") in the ~/.emacs file and then test this environment variable.

kai
--

@ 2000-03-09 18:09 ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2000-03-09 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry to jump into this thread but how do I use .mailcap to get gif or jpegs
to automatically view through an external application instead of internally
in the XEmacs article buffer?

I do have the following entry in my .mailcap

        image/gif; xv %s

yet the images always display inside the buffer?

Actually, what I really want is that images that are too large to fit in the
buffer should be displayed by xv, otherwise they should be displayed
internally to the buffer.

Thanks!

...Jake

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 928-4640
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

microsoft: "where do you want to go today?"
linux:     "where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD:       "are you guys coming, or what?"

@ 2000-03-10 23:31         ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]           ` <wtnog8lg53l.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-10 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> Maybe thats the easiest, but I was looking for this variable. I know
> it exists becourse someone here adviced me to use it in a discussion
> here on the list last autumn.

After M-x shell RET you can type `echo $EMACS' with interesting
effects, but this variable is not present in process-environment, and
M-! echo $EMACS RET doesn't look promising.

:-(

kai
--

@ 2000-03-11 11:25             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-11 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> Maybe I was unclear, but I do not speak of the $EMACS variable but the
> variable gnus-somthing-something that I can set and Gnus will use
> that information together with .mailcap. A sort of overriding the
> .mailcap. Sorry if that wasn't obvious.

Well, Gnus reads .mailcap and puts the findings in mailcap-mime-data,
which you can then frob to your heart's content.

kai
--

@ 2000-03-14 23:21         ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-03-14 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> écrit:
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> > Ah.  The easiest solution seems to be to put (setenv "EMACS_RUNNING"
> > "1") in the ~/.emacs file and then test this environment variable.

> Maybe thats the easiest, but I was looking for this variable. I know it
> exists becourse someone here adviced me to use it in a discussion here
> on the list last autumn.  If it does not exists anymore, then I will use
> RFC 1524, but until then...  Doesn't *anyone* know if such a variable
> exists or not?

This is only mildly related to your question, but I think Emacs defines
the environment variable EMACS to `t' at least within the shell spawn
through `M-x shell'.  I'm using EMACS from login to hold the path to the
Emacs executable I want, and Emacs was overriding the value with `t',
breaking some later scripts called from within Emacs.  After I reported
the problem, Richard told me he was to leave the variable undisturbed if
it already existed (if I remember correctly, this was a while ago).

* Re: Adding MIME viewer to variable instead of .mailcap
@ 2000-04-20 19:26   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> Sorry to jump into this thread but how do I use .mailcap to get gif or jpegs
> to automatically view through an external application instead of internally
> in the XEmacs article buffer?

You need to remove the stuff you don't want inlined from the
`mm-inlined-types' variable.

@ 2000-03-08 12:20 ` Peter Makholm
From: Peter Makholm @ 2000-03-08 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> Does anyone know what I talk about and can help me? TIA!

Setting gnus-mime-multipart-functions could probally solve you
problem:

  gnus-mime-multipart-functions's value is
  nil

  Documentation:
  An alist of MIME types to functions to display them.

  Defined in `gnus-art'.

--
They say that dipping things in toilets is a bad habit.