* Daemon wish
@ 1997-03-24 13:38 Yair Friedman
From: Yair Friedman @ 1997-03-24 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Gnus Usenet Readers Underground/Gnus Groupies

I Sometimes read hi-traffic groups with high garbage ratio.  To overcome
this I use the coring heavily and especially I use followup to kill
unwanted threads.  I also have `gnus-fetch-old-headers' set to t because
I sometimes locate an interesting thread only some time after it begins.

This probably make Gnus reading a lot from the server when entering such
a group.  Today it read 1M for a group that had only 2 unread articles
in it, they were both expunged.  To speed up things I would like to run
Gnus deamon at night which will do all the scoring and prepare the
summary buffer, save it in a file and when I run gnus in the morning, I
could get the summmary quickly.

Does this make any sense?
Is it possible now? I couldn't find anything in the info or in
gnus-daemon.el

--
Yair Friedman.                  John Bryce (Systems) 1984 Ltd.
                                7 Hamarpeh St.

* Re: Daemon wish
@ 1997-03-30  8:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-03-30  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yair Friedman <yfriedma@JohnBryce.Co.Il> writes:

> To speed up things I would like to run Gnus deamon at night which
> will do all the scoring and prepare the summary buffer, save it in a
> file and when I run gnus in the morning, I could get the summmary
> quickly.

You can do this, but it would take some coding.  You could have the
daemon pick out some special score file (by binding
gnus-global-score-files, for instance), running through the
select/exit of some group (with gnus-save-score bound to t).  That
should save the scores, and you could then enter the group in a some
way to bypass the scoring...  or something...