* How to know a mail is sent with gnus ?
@ 2011-02-13 20:07 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-13 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi !

I'm writing a hook for 'message-send-hook' and I would like to know from
this hook if the current message has been sent by Gnus.

Could anybody tell me what I can test ?

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: How to know a mail is sent with gnus ?
@ 2011-02-13 20:20 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-13 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Francis,

> I'm writing a hook for 'message-send-hook' and I would like to know
> from this hook if the current message has been sent by Gnus.

Sent by Gnus in contrast to rmail, which also started using message-mode
recently, right?

> Could anybody tell me what I can test ?

At least `org-gnus.el' checks for Message-Id and Gcc headers to store
links to Gnus messages that haven't been sent at the time of linking
yet.  I might be wrong, but I think Gcc headers are a Gnus invention.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: How to know a mail is sent with gnus ?
@ 2011-02-13 21:32   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-13 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm writing a hook for 'message-send-hook' and I would like to know
>> from this hook if the current message has been sent by Gnus.
>
> Sent by Gnus in contrast to rmail, which also started using message-mode
> recently, right?

You're right.

>> Could anybody tell me what I can test ?
>
> At least `org-gnus.el' checks for Message-Id and Gcc headers to store
> links to Gnus messages that haven't been sent at the time of linking
> yet.  I might be wrong, but I think Gcc headers are a Gnus invention.

The thing is that I don't always use Gcc header. For mailing lists for
example, I don't use it since I'm going to receive a copy of the mail
anyways.

Thanks
--

@ 2011-02-13 23:51 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-02-13 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm writing a hook for 'message-send-hook' and I would like to know from
> this hook if the current message has been sent by Gnus.

Why do you need to know that?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: How to know a mail is sent with gnus ?
@ 2011-02-14  7:28     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-14  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Francis,

>>> Could anybody tell me what I can test ?
>>
>> At least `org-gnus.el' checks for Message-Id and Gcc headers to store
>> links to Gnus messages that haven't been sent at the time of linking
>> yet.  I might be wrong, but I think Gcc headers are a Gnus invention.
>>

> The thing is that I don't always use Gcc header. For mailing lists for
> example, I don't use it since I'm going to receive a copy of the mail
> anyways.

Hm, I always set a Gcc.  For normal groups it's the group itself, and
for mailing list groups, I set a Gcc to my "Sent Messages" group.

Instead of looking at the Gcc, you could set
`message-generate-headers-first' to t and make User-Agent non-optional
in `message-required-mail-headers'.  That should insert a User-Agent
header with Gnus + version as contents as soon as you write a mail from
inside Gnus.

HTH,
Tassilo

* Re: How to know a mail is sent with gnus ?
@ 2011-02-14  7:55       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-14  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

Hi Tassilo,

>>> At least `org-gnus.el' checks for Message-Id and Gcc headers to store
>>> links to Gnus messages that haven't been sent at the time of linking
>>> yet.  I might be wrong, but I think Gcc headers are a Gnus invention.
>>>

>> The thing is that I don't always use Gcc header. For mailing lists for
>> example, I don't use it since I'm going to receive a copy of the mail
>> anyways.
>
> Hm, I always set a Gcc.  For normal groups it's the group itself, and
> for mailing list groups, I set a Gcc to my "Sent Messages" group.

Hmm, I think I could use the "Sent Messages" group for mailing list
groups.

> Instead of looking at the Gcc, you could set
> `message-generate-headers-first' to t and make User-Agent non-optional
> in `message-required-mail-headers'.  That should insert a User-Agent
> header with Gnus + version as contents as soon as you write a mail from
> inside Gnus.

Ah, that's another possibility which sounds good.

Thanks Tassilo for your suggestions.
--

@ 2011-02-14  8:05   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-14  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm writing a hook for 'message-send-hook' and I would like to know from
>> this hook if the current message has been sent by Gnus.
>
> Why do you need to know that?

Because I have this in my .emacs:

  (setq mail-default-headers
        (concat "Bcc: " user-mail-address "\n"))

that is I want to receive a copy of my emails sent from emacs but not by
gnus itself.

When writing stuff with Gnus, I prefer to use Gcc header. Therefore when
I'm writing email from Gnus, I want to drop the Bcc header automatically
set.

--

@ 2011-02-15  1:03     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-02-15  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm writing a hook for 'message-send-hook' and I would like to know from
>>> this hook if the current message has been sent by Gnus.
>>
>> Why do you need to know that?
>>

> Because I have this in my .emacs:

>   (setq mail-default-headers
>         (concat "Bcc: " user-mail-address "\n"))

> that is I want to receive a copy of my emails sent from emacs but not by
> gnus itself.

> When writing stuff with Gnus, I prefer to use Gcc header. Therefore when
> I'm writing email from Gnus, I want to drop the Bcc header automatically
> set.

Perhaps a call to message-remove-header in message-setup-hook will work?

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: How to know a mail is sent with gnus ?
@ 2011-02-15  7:59       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-15  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Goldberg; +Cc: ding

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:

>> Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

>>> Why do you need to know that?
>>>

>> Because I have this in my .emacs:
>
>>   (setq mail-default-headers
>>         (concat "Bcc: " user-mail-address "\n"))
>
>> that is I want to receive a copy of my emails sent from emacs but not by
>> gnus itself.
>
>> When writing stuff with Gnus, I prefer to use Gcc header. Therefore when
>> I'm writing email from Gnus, I want to drop the Bcc header automatically
>> set.
>
> Perhaps a call to message-remove-header in message-setup-hook will
> work?

But isn't that new hook be installed for my whole emacs session ?

--

@ 2011-02-15 22:36         ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-02-15 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:

>>> Because I have this in my .emacs:
>>
>>> (setq mail-default-headers
>>> (concat "Bcc: " user-mail-address "\n"))
>>
>>> that is I want to receive a copy of my emails sent from emacs but not by
>>> gnus itself.
>>
>>> When writing stuff with Gnus, I prefer to use Gcc header. Therefore when
>>> I'm writing email from Gnus, I want to drop the Bcc header automatically
>>> set.
>>
>> Perhaps a call to message-remove-header in message-setup-hook will
>> work?

> But isn't that new hook be installed for my whole emacs session ?

Yes, sorry, I should have said gnus-message-setup-hook, which I would hope that other modes that use message do not call.

--

@ 2011-02-19 11:15           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-19 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Goldberg; +Cc: ding

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:

>>> Perhaps a call to message-remove-header in message-setup-hook will
>>> work?
>
>> But isn't that new hook be installed for my whole emacs session ?
>
> Yes, sorry, I should have said gnus-message-setup-hook, which I would hope that other modes that use message do not call.

Ah, yes indeed that's a good idea, assuming that no other modes call
this hook, but that would be pretty silly I think.

Thanks
--
Francis