* Please test: agent downloading of all articles
@ 2002-10-18 14:30 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-18 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've committed something that is supposed to allow downloading of all
articles, if the variable gnus-agent-consider-all-articles is set
appropriately.

I think it does not work, though :-(

I've gone through Simon's patch from
http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/200007/msg00006.html and
adapted it the best I could.  But I'm afraid it was not very good.  A
lot of stuff I didn't understand, and the new code looked different,
so I didn't change anything.

Can anyone help?

kai

* Re: Please test: agent downloading of all articles
@ 2002-10-19 18:34 ` Barry Fishman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Barry Fishman @ 2002-10-19 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've committed something that is supposed to allow downloading of all
> articles, if the variable gnus-agent-consider-all-articles is set
> appropriately.
>
> I think it does not work, though :-(

Would it not be better to take a more circumspect approach.
If I am reading the code right, presently, the default predicate is to
only consider short articles.  One could do something like:

(defun gnus-category-read ()
  "Read the category alist."
  (setq gnus-category-alist
        (or (gnus-agent-read-file
             (nnheader-concat gnus-agent-directory "lib/categories"))
            (list (list 'default (if gnus-agent-default-all-articles
                                     'true
                                    'short) nil nil)))))

So that only the case where there isn't any categories file is effected.
Once people set up their own categories, they presumably know what
they are doing and another global flag will cause more problems than
it helps.

* Re: Please test: agent downloading of all articles
@ 2002-10-19 19:58   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-19 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Fishman <barry_fishman@att.net> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> I've committed something that is supposed to allow downloading of all
>> articles, if the variable gnus-agent-consider-all-articles is set
>> appropriately.
>>
>> I think it does not work, though :-(
>
> Would it not be better to take a more circumspect approach.
> If I am reading the code right, presently, the default predicate is to
> only consider short articles.  One could do something like:
>
> (defun gnus-category-read ()
>   "Read the category alist."
>   (setq gnus-category-alist
>         (or (gnus-agent-read-file
>              (nnheader-concat gnus-agent-directory "lib/categories"))
>             (list (list 'default (if gnus-agent-default-all-articles
>                                      'true
>                                     'short) nil nil)))))
>
> So that only the case where there isn't any categories file is effected.
> Once people set up their own categories, they presumably know what
> they are doing and another global flag will cause more problems than
> it helps.

Maybe you are misunderstanding?

Before the change, the agent would NEVER download any articles that
are marked as read.  (Except if you explicitly marked it for download
with `@'.)

Now setting gnus-agent-consider-all-articles to nil means to keep the
old behavior, and setting it to t means that the predicate is applied
to both unread and read articles.

I thought about changing the predicate syntax but I didn't like the
alternatives that appeared to me.  The best idea I had was to search
for `read' or `unread' in the predicate.  If either of these is
present (or both are present), then the agent considers all
articles.  If none of them are present, then the agent considers the
unread articles only.

This means that (or short (not short)) is very different from (or
read (not read)) which is counter-intuitive.

But then, maybe *I'm* misunderstanding *you*.  Am I?

@ 2002-10-20 18:43     ` Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2002-10-20 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe you are misunderstanding?

Yes.

* Re: Please test: agent downloading of all articles
@ 2002-10-20 19:47       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-20 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Fishman <barry_fishman@att.net> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Maybe you are misunderstanding?
>
> Yes.

Phew.  I thought I was doing something really bad after reading your
message...

You don't happen to be interested in testing the new feature, do
you?  Still looking for testers...

@ 2002-10-21  6:51 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2002-10-21  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai,

It has been working for most of my IMAP groups so far.  It is inded very
nice to have read articles downloaded for off-line reading.

Does expiry works correctly, ie: removing agent downloaded and expired
articles?

--
Danny Siu

* Re: Please test: agent downloading of all articles
@ 2002-10-21  7:13 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2002-10-21  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just found a problem.  If gnus-agent-consider-all-articles is t, read
articles are always consided downloadable by agent, even when they have been
downloaded.

Try 'J u' twice on an agent'ed IMAP group with read articles to observe the
problem.

@ 2002-10-21  8:25   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-21  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> It has been working for most of my IMAP groups so far.  It is inded very
> nice to have read articles downloaded for off-line reading.

Thanks for the praise :-)

> Does expiry works correctly, ie: removing agent downloaded and expired
> articles?

Nothing changed in that area.  I know it's a todo item, but I haven't
done anything about it.

@ 2002-10-21  8:26   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-21  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> Just found a problem.  If gnus-agent-consider-all-articles is t,
> read articles are always consided downloadable by agent, even when
> they have been downloaded.

Yes.  Is it fixed with my commit just a few seconds ago?

@ 2002-10-21  8:51     ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2002-10-21  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

yes it fixed the problem.  thanks!

Kai Großjohann writes:

  Kai> Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:
  >> Just found a problem.  If gnus-agent-consider-all-articles is t, read
  >> articles are always consided downloadable by agent, even when they have
  >> been downloaded.

  Kai> Yes.  Is it fixed with my commit just a few seconds ago?

--
Danny Siu

* Re: Please test: agent downloading of all articles
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-10-21 17:29 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-21 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've committed something that is supposed to allow downloading of all
> articles, if the variable gnus-agent-consider-all-articles is set
> appropriately.

It is working much better now, I think.  It doesn't try to download
oodles of nonexisting articles, for instance.  And I think it does
download articles marked as read, too.

But it seems it still does not download _all_ articles.  I'm getting
a couple of "[Gnus agent undownloaded article 4711]" subjects.  I
think it's in groups that I haven't touched for a while.

And I still see some articles marked as @ but actually they have been
downloaded just fine.

Can you help?

kai