* Removing nnrss server?
@ 2002-09-26 11:16 Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-09-26 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

This morning I tried:

(add-to-list 'nnrss-group-alist
  '("XML Cover pages"
     "http://xml.coverpages.org/covernews.xml"
     "The XML Cover Pages."))

This moaned something about "directory not available" or something...

Then I tried in *Groups*":

    B nnrss RET http://xml.coverpages.org/covernews.xml RET

Now I have in the servers buffer:

     {nnrss:http://xml.coverpages.org/covernews.xml} (opened)
     {nnrss:} (closed)

The problem is: a) It won't stay "closed"; b) it's impossible to kill
this server.  I'd appreciate any idea.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o

* Re: Removing nnrss server?
@ 2002-12-29 16:25 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-29 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> This morning I tried:
>
> (add-to-list 'nnrss-group-alist
>   '("XML Cover pages"
>      "http://xml.coverpages.org/covernews.xml"
>      "The XML Cover Pages."))

[...]

> The problem is: a) It won't stay "closed"; b) it's impossible to kill
> this server.  I'd appreciate any idea.

Try removing it from the nnrss-group-alist variable...

* Re: Removing nnrss server?
@ 2002-12-29 21:53   ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-12-29 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> (add-to-list 'nnrss-group-alist
>>   '("XML Cover pages"
>>      "http://xml.coverpages.org/covernews.xml"
>>      "The XML Cover Pages."))
>
> [...]
>
>> The problem is: a) It won't stay "closed"; b) it's impossible to kill
>> this server.

> Try removing it from the nnrss-group-alist variable...

I solve the problem avoiding RSS at all ;)  Most RSS feeds are, er, not
for me -- the XML Cover pages were an exception, they carry real info
(= more than just links).

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o

@ 2002-12-29 22:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-29 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> I solve the problem avoiding RSS at all ;)  Most RSS feeds are, er, not
> for me -- the XML Cover pages were an exception, they carry real info
> (= more than just links).

Recently,¹ ShengHuo has added a function that allows you to retrieve
the content of the URL and to transmogrify that a little, then put
it into the article buffer.  Très cool.

It's nnrss-content-function, I think.

¹ Ie, this year or last year.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Removing nnrss server?
@ 2002-12-31  8:32       ` Arne Jørgensen
From: Arne Jørgensen @ 2002-12-31  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I solve the problem avoiding RSS at all ;)  Most RSS feeds are, er, not
>> for me -- the XML Cover pages were an exception, they carry real info
>> (= more than just links).
>
> Recently,¹ ShengHuo has added a function that allows you to retrieve
> the content of the URL and to transmogrify that a little, then put
> it into the article buffer.  Très cool.
>
> It's nnrss-content-function, I think.
>
> ¹ Ie, this year or last year.

Looks like a nice feature---but I don't really understand how to use
it. Any hints?

Kind regards,
--
stud. scient. Arne Jørgensen
Kollegium 5, 2., v. 222, Universitetsparken, 8000 Århus C

* Re: Removing nnrss server?
@ 2002-12-31 15:32         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-31 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arne Jørgensen <arne+usenet@daimi.au.dk> writes:

> Looks like a nice feature---but I don't really understand how to use
> it. Any hints?

If you write a function that does (print "Yahoo!") then all your nnrss
articles will have that in the body.  Not sure if it's at the
beginning or end, though...

But that's how I would start to figure out how to use it.  Sadly,
I've thrown away the code I used to use.
--
Ambibibentists unite!