* Find correct list of articles for a group
@ 2002-10-19 14:36 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-19 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnus-agent invokes (gnus-active GROUP-NAME) to see which articles are
in a group.  I have a group where gnus-active returns something like
(1 . 4711) but actually only the first article exists and then the
last twenty or so starting at 4690.

Is there something that gnus-agent could invoke instead of
(gnus-active GROUP-NAME) to get a more correct list of articles?

kai

* Re: Find correct list of articles for a group
@ 2002-12-28 22:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> gnus-agent invokes (gnus-active GROUP-NAME) to see which articles are
> in a group.  I have a group where gnus-active returns something like
> (1 . 4711) but actually only the first article exists and then the
> last twenty or so starting at 4690.

Well, finding out which articles are in a group basically means
querying the server and seeing what we get.  :-)

Gnus can't know in advance which articles exists on the server.
However, Gnus could keep track of which articles definitely aren't on
the server, so it could, say, keep a list of `dead' ranges of
articles that it knows aren't there, and then we could have a
function that does the complement of `gnus-active' and the `dead'
ranges.  That'll give us a better upper bound on how many articles
exist.

But I don't know how useful that would be.

* Re: Find correct list of articles for a group
@ 2002-12-28 23:01   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> gnus-agent invokes (gnus-active GROUP-NAME) to see which articles are
>> in a group.  I have a group where gnus-active returns something like
>> (1 . 4711) but actually only the first article exists and then the
>> last twenty or so starting at 4690.
>
> Well, finding out which articles are in a group basically means
> querying the server and seeing what we get.  :-)

Well, I think I was asking how to do that.  I had gotten lost in the
maze of small functions, all alike...

But I think the question is now obsolete, Kevin must have solved it
for me -- gnus-agent does the new job nicely.
--
Ambibibentists unite!