From: kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: Gnus Agent and mail
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 12:57:16 +0200	[thread overview]

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Gaute's suggestion wasn't to frob the IMAP behavior.  Just that
>> message-send-mail-function be different.
>>
>> At least that's my understanding.
>
> Actually, Sean's original description was of setting a server
> parameter to always plug his mail server.  I'm not certain that that
> works but he certainly expected it to.

Okay, I know nothing about what Sean said -- that message seems
inaccessible at the moment.  I was responding to Gaute...

> Gaute did ask specifically about mail.  I checked and the agent
> controls mail queuing/sending in the function gnus-agent-send-mail.
> In that function gnus-plugged is the controlling variable.

Well, message-send-mail-function could be set to
message-send-mail-with-sendmail or the like, then the Agent wouldn't
be involved in sending mail at all.

> Now then, some unasked questions.
>
> First, if a mail backend is configured (by some as yet unspecified
> mechanism) to post messages while unplugged.  How does it handle
> fetching?  Should it act like it's unplugged or plugged?

Well, posting appears to be different from sending mail.  Hm.

Anyhow, you can configure the unplugged behavior for each mail-sources
entry -- see the :plugged keyword.  So I think it's not necessary to
configure this on a per-server basis.

> Second, if I have multiple mail servers, should I be able to configure
> each individually?

For outgoing mail, such things seem to be difficult.  AFAIK, there is
no builtin functionality in Gnus that allows you to choose different
outgoing mail servers.  You'd have to kludge it somehow.  And while
you're at it (at kludging, I mean), you can also kludge the value of
message-send-mail-function in the same manner.

> My answers were such that individual mail servers could be configured
> to act as if they were always plugged.  At that point, I was one small
> step from ANY server can be configured to be permanently plugged.

Well, if a backend is not under Agent control, then it behaves like
it is always plugged.

Hm.  So what would be the advantage of enrolling a server in the
agent but at the same time configuring it to be always plugged?  Hm.
It would use the agent cache features.  Yeah, that might actually
make sense.

Hm.

I thought that most of the necessary functionality was there already,
but it seems you have a point -- even more functionality may be
desirable.

***

It seems that we were talking cross-purposes a bit.  I was talking
about sending mail, whereas you seemed to have been talking about
fetching mail.  Also, you spoke of posting messages (to nnimap, I
guess), which I didn't address at all.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)