* Equivalent of gnus-agent-fetch-groups from summary buffer
@ 2002-12-13 15:39 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-13 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there something that does what `J u' in the group buffer does, only
in the summary buffer?  (It might be best to bind that to `J u', as
well.)  I find that I constantly exit a group then fetch then re-enter
the group.

Also, I think that `J g' might be a better mnemonic for fetching, by
analogy with `g'.

Opinions?

* Re: Equivalent of gnus-agent-fetch-groups from summary buffer
@ 2002-12-14  6:03 ` kgreiner
From: kgreiner @ 2002-12-14  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Is there something that does what `J u' in the group buffer does, only
> in the summary buffer?  (It might be best to bind that to `J u', as
> well.)  I find that I constantly exit a group then fetch then re-enter
> the group.
>
> Also, I think that `J g' might be a better mnemonic for fetching, by
> analogy with `g'.
>
> Opinions?
> --
> ~/.signature is: umop ap!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

Well, I did add 'J s' to the summary buffer.  My thoughts were that 'J
s' in the group buffer performs bulk fetching of articles matching a
preset condition.  In the summary buffer, the new 'J s' does bulk
fetching of manually selected articles.  I didn't use automatic
article selection based on the assumption that, if you liked to do
that sort of thing, you would do so before entering the group.  The
intent of this command was to support selective fetching.

One other major difference, gnus-agent-summary-fetch-series fetches
articles marked by the process mark.  That way, I was able to leverage
the existing commands for setting the process mark.

As for the binding, I'm game, but I suspect that most people like what
they are used to using.  If you do change the binding, don't forget to
consider changing 'J s' (gnus-agent-fetch-session) to conform to the
new scheme.

Kevin

* Re: Equivalent of gnus-agent-fetch-groups from summary buffer
@ 2002-12-14 12:57   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-14 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com writes:

> Well, I did add 'J s' to the summary buffer.  My thoughts were that 'J
> s' in the group buffer performs bulk fetching of articles matching a
> preset condition.  In the summary buffer, the new 'J s' does bulk
> fetching of manually selected articles.  I didn't use automatic
> article selection based on the assumption that, if you liked to do
> that sort of thing, you would do so before entering the group.  The
> intent of this command was to support selective fetching.

Maybe it's just me.  I often work plugged, and usually I do `J s'
after `g'.  But sometimes I forget.  Then I enter the group and the
wheat bg looks strange.  So just to make that go away I want to fetch
the articles.  And `J u' from the group buffer is just what I need,
but I'm not in the group buffer any longer :-)

I didn't mean to suggest removing any of the existing commands, just
add a new one.

* Re: Equivalent of gnus-agent-fetch-groups from summary buffer
@ 2003-01-06  7:33 ` kgreiner
From: kgreiner @ 2003-01-06  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Is there something that does what `J u' in the group buffer does, only
> in the summary buffer?  (It might be best to bind that to `J u', as
> well.)  I find that I constantly exit a group then fetch then re-enter
> the group.
>
> Also, I think that `J g' might be a better mnemonic for fetching, by
> analogy with `g'.
>
> Opinions?

The new command has been checked in.  It's currently bound to 'J
S'. sorry :(.

Kevin