* Html mail read error
@ 2003-03-09 13:55 Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2003-03-09 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Opening some html mail message, I got the error:

        lynx: Invalid Option: -stdin

What this mean and how do I resolve it?

Another question is, can I select html browsers other lynx? (no X
here)

--
Census Taker to Housewife: Did you ever have the measles, and, if so,
how many?

* Re: Html mail read error
@ 2003-03-09 14:25 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-09 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven Woody <steven@steven4u.net> writes:

> Opening some html mail message, I got the error:
>
>         lynx: Invalid Option: -stdin
>
> What this mean and how do I resolve it?

It means that Gnus thinks that your lynx has this option, but it
doesn't.  I think that your lynx is too old -- can you install a more
recent version?

> Another question is, can I select html browsers other lynx? (no X
> here)

You could install Emacs/W3, that's an HTML browser in Lisp.  Or maybe
w3m or links, those are text-based browsers similar to lynx.  The
most recent Oort Gnus can integrate with all of them.

* Re: Html mail read error
@ 2003-03-09 16:52   ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2003-03-09 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> It means that Gnus thinks that your lynx has this option, but it
> doesn't.  I think that your lynx is too old -- can you install a more
> recent version?

my lynx is 2.8.3, okay, I am going to pull a 2.8.4, hope it works ...

> You could install Emacs/W3, that's an HTML browser in Lisp.  Or maybe
> w3m or links, those are text-based browsers similar to lynx.  The
> most recent Oort Gnus can integrate with all of them.

Do you means Emacs/W3 can run w/o X (in a console) ? And, again, how
to integrate Oort Gnus with w3m or Emacs/W3?  Thanks!

--
Boob's Law:
	You always find something in the last place you look.

* Re: Html mail read error
@ 2003-03-09 17:12     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-09 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven Woody <steven@steven4u.net> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> It means that Gnus thinks that your lynx has this option, but it
>> doesn't.  I think that your lynx is too old -- can you install a more
>> recent version?
>
> my lynx is 2.8.3, okay, I am going to pull a 2.8.4, hope it works ...

Or maybe Gnus expects an older version of Lynx...

>> You could install Emacs/W3, that's an HTML browser in Lisp.  Or maybe
>> w3m or links, those are text-based browsers similar to lynx.  The
>> most recent Oort Gnus can integrate with all of them.
>>
> Do you means Emacs/W3 can run w/o X (in a console) ?

Yes.  Why are you surprised?

> And, again, how to integrate Oort Gnus with w3m or Emacs/W3?

I installed w3m and the separately available emacs-w3m package.  Then
all I had to do was (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m).

I think that Gnus defaults to using Emacs/W3 if available, so probably
all you have to do is to install that.  If Gnus doesn't default to
it, the variable mm-text-html-renderer is again your friend.

Note that w3-4.0pre46 doesn't work on Emacs 21, you need pre47.  I
think.

* Re: Html mail read error
@ 2003-03-09 18:17       ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2003-03-09 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Or maybe Gnus expects an older version of Lynx...

After install the 2.8.4, the html message can be open
properly. Thanks!

>> Do you means Emacs/W3 can run w/o X (in a console) ?
>
> Yes.  Why are you surprised?

Just for it's home page said:

     Emacs/W3 is a full-featured web browser,... that supports all the
     bells and whistles you will find in use on the web today,
     including frames, tables, stylesheets, and much more

So, I thought it could not run under console. Now I am downloading
... :)

>> And, again, how to integrate Oort Gnus with w3m or Emacs/W3?
>
> I installed w3m and the separately available emacs-w3m package.  Then
> all I had to do was (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m).
>
> I think that Gnus defaults to using Emacs/W3 if available, so probably
> all you have to do is to install that.  If Gnus doesn't default to
> it, the variable mm-text-html-renderer is again your friend.
>
> Note that w3-4.0pre46 doesn't work on Emacs 21, you need pre47.  I
> think.
> --
> A preposition is not a good thing to end a sentence with.

Thank you again!

--
Those who educate children well are more to be honored than parents,
for these only gave life, those the art of living well.