* relationship of cached msg to the original msg
@ 2002-11-20 20:01 Tony E. Bennett
From: Tony E. Bennett @ 2002-11-20 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

oort.08 (11/18/02)

I've been using (gnus-cache-enter-article) to save nnimap
messages that I want to keep for a long time[1].

But I just realized that if I delete the original msg using
another imap reader, then the cached article seems to disappear
also.   I can see this would be useful, but in my case I'd prefer
for the cached msg to hang around until I explicitly delete it.

So is there a way to have cache'd articles in an nnimap group
persist even after the original article is deleted?

My hack for now is to create a parallel nnfolder mailbox for each
nnimap group and just move the articles I want to save there.
Then combine the each pair groups using nnvirtual.  This seems to
work ok, but is a little clunky and has some semantic issues.

--
--tony

[1] This imap server is set to delete mail older than 45 days; I
    was using this to hopefully save a few msgs a bit longer.

* Re: relationship of cached msg to the original msg
@ 2002-11-21 11:29 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-21 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

tbennett@nvidia.com (Tony E. Bennett) writes:

> I've been using (gnus-cache-enter-article) to save nnimap
> messages that I want to keep for a long time[1].
>
> But I just realized that if I delete the original msg using
> another imap reader, then the cached article seems to disappear
> also.

Really?  This is not supposed to happen.  Hm.

But I don't use gnus-cache-enter-article explicitly, I (setq
gnus-use-cache t) instead and then tick interesting messages.  Could
you check if that works?

I've used the above procedure for a long time now to keep old
messages in nntp groups.

kai

* Re: relationship of cached msg to the original msg
@ 2002-11-24  4:37   ` Tony E. Bennett
From: Tony E. Bennett @ 2002-11-24  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> tbennett@nvidia.com (Tony E. Bennett) writes:
>
>> I've been using (gnus-cache-enter-article) to save nnimap
>> messages that I want to keep for a long time[1].
>>
>> But I just realized that if I delete the original msg using
>> another imap reader, then the cached article seems to disappear
>> also.
>
> Really?  This is not supposed to happen.  Hm.
>
> But I don't use gnus-cache-enter-article explicitly, I (setq
> gnus-use-cache t) instead and then tick interesting messages.  Could
> you check if that works?
>
> I've used the above procedure for a long time now to keep old
> messages in nntp groups.

It now looks like the msg is not deleted when put into the cache,
just that 'tick' is cleared and msg becomes 'O' which makes it
not show up in my default summary.  Tick'ing it again after this
looks fine until I exit group and re-enter.  Cached article is
still not ticked.

I have gnus-use-cache set to 'passive.  Setting it to t does not
change this behavior.

Should cache'd articles preserve tick state of the original?
Or is tick state saved w/ original article only and lost when
original article is deleted?

Basically, I just want the summary to default to unread, ticked
and cached articles.  Maybe there is a better way to do this...

--tony

* Re: relationship of cached msg to the original msg
@ 2002-11-24 11:58     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-24 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

tbennett@nvidia.com (Tony E. Bennett) writes:

> It now looks like the msg is not deleted when put into the cache,
> just that 'tick' is cleared and msg becomes 'O' which makes it
> not show up in my default summary.  Tick'ing it again after this
> looks fine until I exit group and re-enter.  Cached article is
> still not ticked.

=8-{

It seems I might not be able to reproduce this because I never use
another IMAP client to access the group.  Maybe the other IMAP client
removes the tick mark (known as \Flagged or `important' in other IMAP
clients, I think) and then Gnus picks up this change.  If the article
is not present on the server anymore, then of course this will not
happen since the other IMAP client doesn't see the message anymore.

> I have gnus-use-cache set to 'passive.  Setting it to t does not
> change this behavior.

Right.  I didn't pay close enough attention -- you're using more than
one client.

> Should cache'd articles preserve tick state of the original?
> Or is tick state saved w/ original article only and lost when
> original article is deleted?

I'm not sure what happens.

I do know that cached articles that are NOT present on the server can
be ticked, therefore the ticked status must be stored outside the
server -- at least in some cases.

> Basically, I just want the summary to default to unread, ticked
> and cached articles.  Maybe there is a better way to do this...

You can type `/ *' to show all the cached articles.  Does this do
what you want?  You can surely tell Gnus to hit `/ *' for you when
you enter a group.  I had a Lisp snippet that did this, if you want I
can try to find it again.

kai