* marking X-Priority summary line
@ 2002-12-09 10:09 Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2002-12-09 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone written the lisp for marking the summary line if the article is
high priority (eg: has "X-Priority : High" header)?  I know about bindings
for inserting such headers when composing message.

Someone must have done this but a brief search on the mailing list didn't
yield any result.

--
Danny Siu

* Re: marking X-Priority summary line
@ 2002-12-09 17:09 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-09 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> Has anyone written the lisp for marking the summary line if the article is
> high priority (eg: has "X-Priority : High" header)?  I know about bindings
> for inserting such headers when composing message.

Maybe it could be done with scoring?

* Re: marking X-Priority summary line
@ 2002-12-28 18:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> Has anyone written the lisp for marking the summary line if the article is
> high priority (eg: has "X-Priority : High" header)?  I know about bindings
> for inserting such headers when composing message.

The only agents that insert X-Priority: high headers are 1) Outlook
and 2) spammers.  So X-Priority is a pretty reliable header to use to
filter out spam and other annoyances.

* Re: marking X-Priority summary line
@ 2003-01-02  7:11   ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-02  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I really meant the "Importance: high/low" header which Gnus can groks in
Message mode.

--

@ 2003-01-02  7:17   ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-02  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann writes:

  Kai> Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:
  >> Has anyone written the lisp for marking the summary line if the article
  >> is high priority (eg: has "X-Priority : High" header)?  I know about
  >> bindings for inserting such headers when composing message.

  Kai> Maybe it could be done with scoring?

I suppose.  But I guess it is easier to spot an important article by have a
mark (may be 'P') in summary line, just like the little flag icon seen in
Mozilla.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-02  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> I really meant the "Importance: high/low" header which Gnus can groks in
> Message mode.

Hm...  Is there an Importance header in Message?

* Re: marking X-Priority summary line
@ 2003-01-02  9:57       ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-02  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

yes but not inserted by default.  see: message-insert-importance-high and
its little brother.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-02 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> yes but not inserted by default.  see: message-insert-importance-high and
> its little brother.

Ah, I see.

Well, Gnus doesn't know about that header when it generates the
summary buffer.  If you add it to `gnus-extra-headers' and
`nnmail-extra-headers', Gnus will then have access to it, and you can
do stuff with it when you generate the summary buffer.

(Uhm.  I forget what tools are available for doing stuff to the
extra headers.  There probably should be some format specs for that,
but you may have to write one of those user-defined specs.)

In any case, I don't really think this will be particularly useful.
Experience shows that the only people who insert headers that say
"this is important" are spammers.

* Re: marking X-Priority summary line
@ 2003-01-02 18:45       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-01-02 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:
>
>> I really meant the "Importance: high/low" header which Gnus can groks in
>> Message mode.
>
> Hm...  Is there an Importance header in Message?

People that compare MUAs look for support of it, and there is a RFC
describing it, so I added it.

As for incoming, I believe you can do whatever you want with scoring.
If someone wants a special mark in the summary buffer, I think it can
be accomplished via an %U mark together with scoring.