* Agent expiry issues
@ 2002-10-20 19:56 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-20 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was thinking that it would be nice if the agent copy of a message
would be deleted at the time when the server-side copy is deleted.
How could one go about this?

(Note that there is still the cache which will keep articles even
after they are deleted on the server.  I guess when the agent and the
cache are unified, the new thingy needs to support both modes of
operation.)

kai

* Re: Agent expiry issues
@ 2002-10-21  0:46 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-10-21  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:

[...]

> (Note that there is still the cache which will keep articles even
> after they are deleted on the server.  I guess when the agent and the
> cache are unified, the new thingy needs to support both modes of
> operation.)

Yes, that would be needed. I use the cache regularly to retain copies of
news articles that have long since expired on my upstream server.

One day I plan on transferring them somewhere else, right after I
migrate ~2GB of mail into an IMAP server from NNML without losing my
marks...

        Daniel

--
Thus, if the First Amendment means anything in the field, it must allow
protests even against the moral code that the standard of the day sets for the

* Re: Agent expiry issues
@ 2002-10-28 23:07   ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-10-28 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>:

> One day I plan on transferring them somewhere else, right after I
> migrate ~2GB of mail into an IMAP server from NNML without losing my
> marks...

you have 2GB worth of private emails?

clemens

* Re: Agent expiry issues
@ 2002-10-29  0:50     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-10-29  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Clemens Fischer wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>:
>
>> One day I plan on transferring them somewhere else, right after I
>> migrate ~2GB of mail into an IMAP server from NNML without losing my
>> marks...
>
> you have 2GB worth of private emails?

2.2GB, but it's got quite a few public mailing lists in it. Given the
falling costs of drive space and the like, I don't expire that much of
what I get, because it's nice to have full archives of a bunch of stuff.

Directly personal mail, sent or received, only comes up to around 450MB
of that, so I could theoretically junk a large proportion of the rest of
it.

Given that it costs me around AUD$10 to keep the current spool content,
and that cost drops from day to day while the average size of a message
does not increase...

...I just can't see the point in losing that history any more.
     Daniel

--
Solum certum nihil esse certi.
the only certainty is that nothing is certain

* Re: Agent expiry issues
@ 2002-10-29 10:36       ` clemens fischer
From: clemens fischer @ 2002-10-29 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>:

> 2.2GB, but it's got quite a few public mailing lists in it. Given the
> falling costs of drive space and the like, I don't expire that much of
> what I get, because it's nice to have full archives of a bunch of stuff.

do you have glimpse or something like it installed?

clemens

* Re: Agent expiry issues
@ 2002-10-29 10:44         ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-10-29 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"clemens fischer" <ino-ee870b58@spotteswoode.de.eu.org> writes:

> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>:
>
>> 2.2GB, but it's got quite a few public mailing lists in it. Given the
>> falling costs of drive space and the like, I don't expire that much of
>> what I get, because it's nice to have full archives of a bunch of stuff.
>
> do you have glimpse or something like it installed?

You should try Kai's nnir.el.  It supports a whole lot of search
engines.

--
Booting... /vmemacs.el

* Re: Agent expiry issues
@ 2002-10-30  3:54         ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-10-30  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 Oct 2002, clemens fischer wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>:
>
>> 2.2GB, but it's got quite a few public mailing lists in it. Given the
>> falling costs of drive space and the like, I don't expire that much
>> of what I get, because it's nice to have full archives of a bunch of
>> stuff.
>
> do you have glimpse or something like it installed?

swish++ and nnir, though I have been using find and grep more often
recently.

nnir is nice, but I don't get quite the same results from it that I do
from a couple of quick grep invocations. Too much time on the command
line, I think, for a GUI to help ;)

      Daniel

--
Regard all art critics as useless and dangerous.
        -- Manifesto of the Futurists

* Re: Agent expiry issues
@ 2002-10-30 10:16           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-30 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> nnir is nice, but I don't get quite the same results from it that I do
> from a couple of quick grep invocations. Too much time on the command
> line, I think, for a GUI to help ;)

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a find/grep interface
to nnir.el :-)

There is also a patch from Nevin Kapur to invoke grepmail.  Alas, I
think I haven't incorporated it in nnir.el yet.

kai

* Re: Agent expiry issues
@ 2002-10-30 12:39             ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-10-30 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
>> nnir is nice, but I don't get quite the same results from it that I
>> do from a couple of quick grep invocations. Too much time on the
>> command line, I think, for a GUI to help ;)
>
> I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a find/grep interface
> to nnir.el :-)

*grin*  I keep intending to use the swish++ and nnir functionality more
fully, but I keep getting distracted and not learning it because I need
things in a hurry...

> There is also a patch from Nevin Kapur to invoke grepmail.  Alas, I
> think I haven't incorporated it in nnir.el yet.

If I were unhappy with stuff I would try and make a patch, but it seems
very good from experience so far.

     Daniel

--
Copyright law is totally out of date. It is a Gutenburg artifact.
Since it is a reactive process, it will probably have to break