* Agent: visual feedback about downloaded articles
@ 2002-10-01 12:42 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-01 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to have some visual feedback about articles that are
downloaded, even when plugged.  Is it possible to have a character in
the summary line for each article?

kai

* Re: Agent: visual feedback about downloaded articles
@ 2002-10-18  7:55 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2002-10-18  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

So no one wanna take this on?  Or it has been done?

--
Danny Siu

* Re: Agent: visual feedback about downloaded articles
@ 2002-10-18 11:53   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-18 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> So no one wanna take this on?  Or it has been done?

I've done it.  Please try it to see whether it prints meaningful
things.

(defun kai-gnus-article-downloaded-p (header)
  "Say whether ARTICLE has been downloaded or not."
  (cdr (assq (aref header 0) gnus-agent-article-alist)))

(add-to-list 'gnus-summary-line-format-alist
	     '(?+ (if (kai-gnus-article-downloaded-p gnus-tmp-header)
		      "+" "-")
		  ?s))

After these lines, you can add %+ in gnus-summary-line-format.

@ 2002-10-21  6:42     ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2002-10-21  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

it works...sort of.

After setting that up, all my articles were indicated as "-" (not
downloaded) when indeed they have been (I manually looked at the agent
caches dir and found the download articles.)

However, after I select an article, quit the summary buffer and reenter, the
previously selected article is now indicated as downloaded.  I use
gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article in gnus-select-article-hook.

@ 2002-10-21  8:26       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-21  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> After setting that up, all my articles were indicated as "-" (not
> downloaded) when indeed they have been (I manually looked at the agent
> caches dir and found the download articles.)

Hm.  Are these mentioned in the .agentview file in the directory?
Are they mentioned in the .overview file there?

@ 2002-10-21  8:56         ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2002-10-21  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found out that my some of my .overview files in the agent dir have
duplicated entries (multiple lines with exact content) as a result of (setq
gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t) always fetches read articles.

@ 2002-10-21 13:49           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-21 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> I found out that my some of my .overview files in the agent dir have
> duplicated entries (multiple lines with exact content) as a result
> of (setq gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t) always fetches read
> articles.

Do you think the duplicate lines come from
gnus-agent-consider-all-articles?

I'm hoping that this was because of old implementations and that the
current implementation does not add additional dupes.

How to deal with the existing dupes, though?

@ 2002-10-22  6:59             ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2002-10-22  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann writes:

  Kai> Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:
  >> I found out that my some of my .overview files in the agent dir have
  >> duplicated entries (multiple lines with exact content) as a result of
  >> (setq gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t) always fetches read articles.

  Kai> Do you think the duplicate lines come from
  Kai> gnus-agent-consider-all-articles?

I only observed my .overview file size explosions since last week.  It may
or may not be related to gnus-agent-consider-all-articles.

  Kai> I'm hoping that this was because of old implementations and that the
  Kai> current implementation does not add additional dupes.

  Kai> How to deal with the existing dupes, though?

Unfortunately, I have to remove .overview and do 'J u' on the group again.

@ 2002-10-22  8:34               ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-22  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> Kai Großjohann writes:
>
>   Kai> How to deal with the existing dupes, though?
>
> Unfortunately, I have to remove .overview and do 'J u' on the group again.

Okay.  And does the .overview explode again after you do this?

kai