* buffer layout when composing
@ 2011-02-13 14:40 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-13 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

hi,

I'd like to make gnus using my article window when starting a new mail
or news instead of using the full window.

If the article window is not shown then use the configuration of the
article window.

Is there an easy way for doing that ?

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: buffer layout when composing
@ 2011-02-13 19:25 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-13 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there an easy way for doing that ?

Sure.  See the Window Layout section in the manual.

* Re: buffer layout when composing
@ 2011-02-13 20:01   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-13 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there an easy way for doing that ?
>
> Sure.  See the Window Layout section in the manual.

Well, I was expecting this answer but I did try to understand what's
written in this section but failed. At least to achieve what I'm trying
to do (replacing the article window by the composing one).

I can see how to configure a general layout but it won't replace the
article window only in my setting.

Could you give me a hint how to do that ?
--

@ 2011-02-13 23:45     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-02-13 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is there an easy way for doing that ?
>>
>> Sure.  See the Window Layout section in the manual.

> Well, I was expecting this answer but I did try to understand what's
> written in this section but failed. At least to achieve what I'm trying
> to do (replacing the article window by the composing one).

> I can see how to configure a general layout but it won't replace the
> article window only in my setting.

> Could you give me a hint how to do that ?

Somewhere in your gnus-buffer-configuration you should have a member like this (mine is customized, so yours, presumably the default, won't look quite the same):

((article
  (horizontal 1.0
	      (vertical 84
			(summary 0.25 point)
			(article 1.0))
	      (vertical 1.0
			(group 1.0)))))

What you want to do is add similar members for at least message, and possibly 'reply, forward and others that might be used for message generation (there's a bunch, but many aren't used so often that perhaps it's not worth worrying about them) with the same structure with 'message where you see 'article.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: buffer layout when composing
@ 2011-02-14  8:26       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-14  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Goldberg; +Cc: ding

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:

>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>>> Sure.  See the Window Layout section in the manual.
>
>> Well, I was expecting this answer but I did try to understand what's
>> written in this section but failed. At least to achieve what I'm trying
>> to do (replacing the article window by the composing one).
>
>> I can see how to configure a general layout but it won't replace the
>> article window only in my setting.
>
>> Could you give me a hint how to do that ?
>
> Somewhere in your gnus-buffer-configuration you should have a member
> like this (mine is customized, so yours, presumably the default, won't
> look quite the same):
>
> ((article
>   (horizontal 1.0
> 	      (vertical 84
> 			(summary 0.25 point)
> 			(article 1.0))
> 	      (vertical 1.0
> 			(group 1.0)))))
>
> What you want to do is add similar members for at least message, and
> possibly 'reply, forward and others that might be used for message
> generation (there's a bunch, but many aren't used so often that
> perhaps it's not worth worrying about them) with the same structure
> with 'message where you see 'article.

Ok but I don't think I can achieve what I want with this.

What I want is to _reuse_ the article buffer when composing emails
whatever the current window layout.

For example, let say I have this current setting:

          +---------+---------+
          | Summary |         |
          +---------+         |
          |         |   ERC   |
          | Article |         |
          |         |         |
          +---------+---------+

When composing a new email, I want it to become:

          +---------+---------+
          | Summary |         |
          +---------+         |
          |         |   ERC   |
          | Compose |         |
          |         |         |
          +---------+---------+

And with my setting, I get this

          +-------------------+
          |     Summary       |
          +-------------------+
          |                   |
          |     Compose       |
          |                   |
          +-------------------+

My current setting is:

   (gnus-add-configuration
    '(article
      (vertical 1.0
           (summary 0.25 point)
           (article 1.0))))

   (gnus-add-configuration
    '(message
      (vertical 1.0
           (summary 0.25)
           (message 1.0 point))))

   (setq gnus-use-full-window nil)

In general, I find Gnus always using the full window for server,
compose... buffers which I find annoying.

Thanks
--

@ 2011-02-14  9:20         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-14  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Goldberg; +Cc: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Francis,

> For example, let say I have this current setting:
>
>           +---------+---------+
>           | Summary |         |
>           +---------+         |
>           |         |   ERC   |
>           | Article |         |
>           |         |         |
>           +---------+---------+
>
> When composing a new email, I want it to become:
>
>           +---------+---------+
>           | Summary |         |
>           +---------+         |
>           |         |   ERC   |
>           | Compose |         |
>           |         |         |
>           +---------+---------+
>
> And with my setting, I get this
>
>           +-------------------+
>           |     Summary       |
>           +-------------------+
>           |                   |
>           |     Compose       |
>           |                   |
>           +-------------------+
>
> In general, I find Gnus always using the full window for server,
> compose... buffers which I find annoying.

Ah, your central point is that Gnus shouldn't use the full frame and
destroy your window config, right?

,----[ C-h v gnus-use-full-window RET ]
| gnus-use-full-window is a variable defined in `gnus-win.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, use the entire Emacs screen.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

You might want to set that to nil.  That should make the ERC window
survive composing new mail (at least in theory).

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: buffer layout when composing
@ 2011-02-14 10:21           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-14 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Dave Goldberg, ding

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>> For example, let say I have this current setting:
>>
>>           +---------+---------+
>>           | Summary |         |
>>           +---------+         |
>>           |         |   ERC   |
>>           | Article |         |
>>           |         |         |
>>           +---------+---------+
>>
>> When composing a new email, I want it to become:
>>
>>           +---------+---------+
>>           | Summary |         |
>>           +---------+         |
>>           |         |   ERC   |
>>           | Compose |         |
>>           |         |         |
>>           +---------+---------+
>>
>> And with my setting, I get this
>>
>>           +-------------------+
>>           |     Summary       |
>>           +-------------------+
>>           |                   |
>>           |     Compose       |
>>           |                   |
>>           +-------------------+
>>
>> In general, I find Gnus always using the full window for server,
>> compose... buffers which I find annoying.
>
> Ah, your central point is that Gnus shouldn't use the full frame and
> destroy your window config, right?
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-use-full-window RET ]
> | gnus-use-full-window is a variable defined in `gnus-win.el'.
> | Its value is t
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *If non-nil, use the entire Emacs screen.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> `----
>
> You might want to set that to nil.

As I wrote earlier, I already set if this variable to nil.

> That should make the ERC window survive composing new mail (at least
> in theory).

Well it doesn't for me unfortunately.

Thanks
--

@ 2011-02-14 10:49             ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-14 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Goldberg; +Cc: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Francis,

>> Ah, your central point is that Gnus shouldn't use the full frame and
>> destroy your window config, right?
>>
>> ,----[ C-h v gnus-use-full-window RET ]
>> | gnus-use-full-window is a variable defined in `gnus-win.el'.
>> | Its value is t
>> |
>> | Documentation:
>> | *If non-nil, use the entire Emacs screen.
>> |
>> | You can customize this variable.
>> `----
>>
>> You might want to set that to nil.
>
> As I wrote earlier, I already set if this variable to nil.

Oh, sorry, I've missed that.

>> That should make the ERC window survive composing new mail (at least
>> in theory).
>
> Well it doesn't for me unfortunately.

Yes, you are right, I've just tested it by using a window config with
gnus summary and article on the right an *scratch* on the left (as
placeholder for your ERC buffer window).

Following up to a message with yank will make the message-buffer be
shown in one and only window.  However, when sending off the message,
the complete window config is restored again, which is the most
important thing IMO.

Following up without yank will produce a 2 window config with the
article buffer above and the message buffer below.

Basically, that's pretty good, but I agree that it would be even better
if Gnus would only remove Gnus windows.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: buffer layout when composing
@ 2011-02-14 11:39               ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-14 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Dave Goldberg, ding

[...]

> Following up to a message with yank will make the message-buffer be
> shown in one and only window.  However, when sending off the message,
> the complete window config is restored again, which is the most
> important thing IMO.

For me both are important.

> Following up without yank will produce a 2 window config with the
> article buffer above and the message buffer below.

But it still replaces all other (no gnus) windows.

> Basically, that's pretty good, but I agree that it would be even
>better if Gnus would only remove Gnus windows.

Hmm, I really find it annoying and I would love see it fixed.

Why don't Gnus always use the summary window layout as basis to
calculate article, message window layout ?

Why does it take the full window ?
--

@ 2011-02-14 20:38               ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-14 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Yes, you are right, I've just tested it by using a window config with
> gnus summary and article on the right an *scratch* on the left (as
> placeholder for your ERC buffer window).
>
> Following up to a message with yank will make the message-buffer be
> shown in one and only window.

For me the split would happen correctly 50% of the time.  I think I've
now made it work more reliably by using switch-buffer instead of
pop-to-buffer.

* Re: buffer layout when composing
@ 2011-02-14 22:17                 ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-14 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Yes, you are right, I've just tested it by using a window config with
>> gnus summary and article on the right an *scratch* on the left (as
>> placeholder for your ERC buffer window).
>>
>> Following up to a message with yank will make the message-buffer be
>> shown in one and only window.
>
> For me the split would happen correctly 50% of the time.  I think I've
> now made it work more reliably by using switch-buffer instead of
> pop-to-buffer.

Really ?

I gave it a try but I still have the wrong behaviour when doing in the
summary buffer: `F', `m'.

However doing: `S W' is better since it now keeps the *scratch* window
(see Tassilo's example) but my summary window is no more visible
although my layout config tells to keep it I think:

  (gnus-add-configuration
   '(message
     (vertical 1.0
          (summary 0.25)
               (message 1.0 point))))

Thanks
--

@ 2011-02-14 22:34                   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-14 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Really ?

Yes.

> I gave it a try but I still have the wrong behaviour when doing in the
> summary buffer: `F', `m'.
>
> However doing: `S W' is better since it now keeps the *scratch* window
> (see Tassilo's example) but my summary window is no more visible
> although my layout config tells to keep it I think:
>
>   (gnus-add-configuration
>    '(message
>      (vertical 1.0
>           (summary 0.25)
>                (message 1.0 point))))

I think you're looking for the `reply-yank' layout.

* Re: buffer layout when composing
@ 2011-02-15  8:09                     ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-15  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Really ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I gave it a try but I still have the wrong behaviour when doing in the
>> summary buffer: `F', `m'.
>>
>> However doing: `S W' is better since it now keeps the *scratch* window
>> (see Tassilo's example) but my summary window is no more visible
>> although my layout config tells to keep it I think:
>>
>>   (gnus-add-configuration
>>    '(message
>>      (vertical 1.0
>>           (summary 0.25)
>>                (message 1.0 point))))
>
> I think you're looking for the `reply-yank' layout.

That's right this fixes the `S W' case. BTW I haven't found any traces
of 'reply-yank' in the doc.

But they're still the `F', `m' cases where gnus use a full window. Do
you have any other trick to fix them ?

Thanks
--

@ 2011-02-15 22:39                       ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-02-15 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> That's right this fixes the `S W' case. BTW I haven't found any traces
> of 'reply-yank' in the doc.

> But they're still the `F', `m' cases where gnus use a full window. Do
> you have any other trick to fix them ?

Yeah, one needs to look at the initial value of gnus-buffer-configuration to find all the available layouts and modify them.  Since I use a separate window for all Gnus related operations, I don't run into the issue you do, so I can't say what changes might be necessary outside of that variable to support you, though.

--

@ 2011-02-16 22:16                       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-16 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> BTW I haven't found any traces of 'reply-yank' in the doc.

Doesn't look like any of the layout names are actually documented in the
manual?

* Re: buffer layout when composing
@ 2011-02-19 11:17                         ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-19 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> BTW I haven't found any traces of 'reply-yank' in the doc.
>
> Doesn't look like any of the layout names are actually documented in
> the manual?

Sorry but I'm not sure to understand...

--

@ 2011-02-20  1:23                           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-20  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>>> BTW I haven't found any traces of 'reply-yank' in the doc.
>>
>> Doesn't look like any of the layout names are actually documented in
>> the manual?
>
> Sorry but I'm not sure to understand...

I was just saying that the layout names aren't documented.  They
probably should be, though, otherwise you have to look at the source
code to understand what layout names to use.

I'll add a section listing them all.