* Fancy Splitting IMAP to Another Server
@ 2012-12-13 19:59 Aric Gregson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-12-13 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to use the fancy-split for IMAP to move
a piece of mail to another server completely. I believe in the past this
did not work for me, but I never asked directly about it.

For example, this is a part of my current set-up:

(setq  nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"
       nnmail-split-fancy ;;
       '(|                                ;; (2)
         (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) ;; (3)
         ;; splitting rules go here       ;; (4)
	 (any "promed-digest@promedmail.org" "PROMED")
	 (any "zfs-discuss-request@opensolaris.org" "SunSupport")
	 (any "ggplot2" "RList")......

What I would like to do for example is the following:

....(any "ggplot2" "nnimap+SERVER1_NOT_SAME_AS_FILTERED_INBOX:RList")

Is that possible?

Thanks, Aric

--
    ~O
    /\_,

* Re: Fancy Splitting IMAP to Another Server
@ 2012-12-14  7:24 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2012-12-14  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aric Gregson writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to use the fancy-split for IMAP to move
> a piece of mail to another server completely. I believe in the past this
> did not work for me, but I never asked directly about it.
>
> For example, this is a part of my current set-up:
>
> (setq  nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"
>        nnmail-split-fancy ;;
>        '(|                                ;; (2)
>          (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) ;; (3)
>          ;; splitting rules go here       ;; (4)
> 	 (any "promed-digest@promedmail.org" "PROMED")
> 	 (any "zfs-discuss-request@opensolaris.org" "SunSupport")
> 	 (any "ggplot2" "RList")......
>
> What I would like to do for example is the following:
>
> ....(any "ggplot2" "nnimap+SERVER1_NOT_SAME_AS_FILTERED_INBOX:RList")
>
> Is that possible?

At least moving articles between servers work.  Nevertheless, I wonder
what will happen when gnus starts, and splits the incoming messages in
one server, but there is not yet any connection to the second one...

--
Alberto

* Re: Fancy Splitting IMAP to Another Server
@ 2012-12-14 19:34   ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-12-14 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> At least moving articles between servers work.  Nevertheless, I wonder
> what will happen when gnus starts, and splits the incoming messages in
> one server, but there is not yet any connection to the second one...

That is a good point. I assume that would cause issues. Granted, I
usually only start GNUS once a week, but still the start may not get
going.

aric

* Re: Fancy Splitting IMAP to Another Server
@ 2012-12-18 19:36   ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-12-18 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Having thought about this a bit more, is it possible to ensure that GNUS
opens servers in a specific order? I am generally only moving mails from
one server and if that one is opened last, then I should be OK.

Aric

* Re: Fancy Splitting IMAP to Another Server
@ 2012-12-21 17:11 ` Damon Haley
From: Damon Haley @ 2012-12-21 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hello,
> I am wondering if it is possible to use the fancy-split for IMAP to move
> a piece of mail to another server completely. I believe in the past this
> did not work for me, but I never asked directly about it.

> For example, this is a part of my current set-up:

> (setq  nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"
>        nnmail-split-fancy ;;
>        '(|                                ;; (2)
>          (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) ;; (3)
>          ;; splitting rules go here       ;; (4)
> 	 (any "promed-digest@promedmail.org" "PROMED")
> 	 (any "zfs-discuss-request@opensolaris.org" "SunSupport")
> 	 (any "ggplot2" "RList")......

Hi Aric, I think not having the ability to split between servers with
nmail-split-fancy was the biggest limitation of using gnus - for me.

For example, if my wife replied to me at any of my various mail accounts I
could never automate storing all of her communications in one centralized imap
server with just gnus.  It looks like it might not be feasible because gnus
doesn't have access to all IMAP servers each time it splits mail.

The only solution to this problem I found was to run a local dovecot IMAP
server and use fetchmail to pull in all my various accounts.  Then I just use
gnus to make one connection to my local IMAP server.  Now I can
finally have just one IMAP folder per person no matter which email address
they use to contact me.  Checking my mail is also way faster as I'm not having
to maintain and re-establish multiple IMAP ssl connections.

Hope that is helpful to this discussion.

Damon

--
app: https://alpha.app.net/haleyscomet
net: https://identi.ca/vinylisl

* Re: Fancy Splitting IMAP to Another Server
@ 2012-12-21 19:27 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-12-21 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:59:17 -0800 Aric Gregson <aorchid@mac.com> wrote:

AG> I am wondering if it is possible to use the fancy-split for IMAP to move
AG> a piece of mail to another server completely. I believe in the past this
AG> did not work for me, but I never asked directly about it.

I've wished for this for a while and it's on my TODO list, but very far down.

Ted

* Re: Fancy Splitting IMAP to Another Server
@ 2012-12-26 22:33   ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-12-26 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I've wished for this for a while and it's on my TODO list, but very far down.

Well, thanks for all the replies. I do look forward to implementation of
this feature. For the meanwhile, I just copy messages over by hand.

Thanks, Aric
--
    ~O
    /\_,