* html and text
@ 1998-12-02 15:57 Jack Vinson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jack Vinson @ 1998-12-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

pgnus 0.59 and ntemacs 20.3.1

When I receive a message that has BOTH html and text in it, Gnus calls
w3 code to do something to the html.  However, it never seems to do
anything useful with it after that.  I mean, if it goes to all the bother
of calling w3 code, should the message be displayed with all the richness
of the html?  Shouldn't I at least know that there is an html part?

If I do a 'K b', gnus shows buttons for the text part and the html part.
How do I know which one I am viewing?

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: The Korean War must have been fun.

* Re: html and text
@ 1998-12-02 17:43 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-12-02 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:

> pgnus 0.59 and ntemacs 20.3.1
>
> When I receive a message that has BOTH html and text in it, Gnus calls
> w3 code to do something to the html.  However, it never seems to do
> anything useful with it after that.  I mean, if it goes to all the bother
> of calling w3 code, should the message be displayed with all the richness
> of the html?  Shouldn't I at least know that there is an html part?
>
> If I do a 'K b', gnus shows buttons for the text part and the html part.
> How do I know which one I am viewing?

  Hit M-t

  Perhaps the HTML is so attrocious that W3 can't grok it at all?

-Bill P.

* Re: html and text
@ 1998-12-03  0:15 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-12-03  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:

  > If I do a 'K b', gnus shows buttons for the text part and the html part.
  > How do I know which one I am viewing?

Doesn't it show it like this?

[ ] text/plain          [*] text/html

The asterisk indicates the right part...

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: html and text
@ 1998-12-03  0:49   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-12-03  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:
>
>   > If I do a 'K b', gnus shows buttons for the text part and the html part.
>   > How do I know which one I am viewing?
>
> Doesn't it show it like this?
>
> [ ] text/plain          [*] text/html

Not for me.  The nice choice menu has been removed (by default) a few
versions of Gnus ago.  :-( For some reason, it was called "debugging"
and excorcised.  Now, if you want to get it, you need to press `K b',
wait for the whole article to be re-rendered, and then you get an
article with *all* the buttons.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: html and text
@ 1998-12-03 10:48     ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-12-03 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

  > Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
  >
  > > Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:
  > >
  > >   > If I do a 'K b', gnus shows buttons for the text part and the html part.
  > >   > How do I know which one I am viewing?
  > >
  > > Doesn't it show it like this?
  > >
  > > [ ] text/plain          [*] text/html
  >
  > Not for me.  The nice choice menu has been removed (by default) a few
  > versions of Gnus ago.  :-( For some reason, it was called "debugging"
  > and excorcised.  Now, if you want to get it, you need to press `K b',
  > wait for the whole article to be re-rendered, and then you get an
  > article with *all* the buttons.

But Jack has explicitly said that he types `K b' and still doesn't
know whether it's the text/plain or the text/html he's looking at --
that's strange.

kai
--

@ 1998-12-03 15:17       ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1998-12-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

>> > Doesn't it show it like this?
>> >
>> > [ ] text/plain          [*] text/html
>>

KG> But Jack has explicitly said that he types `K b' and still doesn't
KG> know whether it's the text/plain or the text/html he's looking at --
KG> that's strange.

Small misunderstanding.  If I type 'K b' I get buttons like those above.
As Hrvoje mentioned, I was expecting these buttons when I originally opened
the message.  I suppose this is simply a matter of taste since the
"alternate" parts should give exactly the same information.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: Uh-oh!!  I'm having TOO MUCH FUN!!

* Re: html and text
@ 1999-01-06 22:41 ` Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1999-01-06 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Jack> pgnus 0.59 and ntemacs 20.3.1 When I receive a message that has BOTH
  Jack> html and text in it, Gnus calls w3 code to do something to the html.

I have a similar problem: how do I stop pgnus from displaying inline HTML at
all?

Thanks,
Stefan.
--
Stefan Waldherr                   fax +49 431 8058 136
                               e-Mail stefan@waldherr.org

* Re: html and text
@ 1999-01-07  1:21   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-01-07  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Waldherr <stefan@waldherr.org> writes:

>   Jack> pgnus 0.59 and ntemacs 20.3.1 When I receive a message that has BOTH
>   Jack> html and text in it, Gnus calls w3 code to do something to the html.
>
> I have a similar problem: how do I stop pgnus from displaying inline
> HTML at all?

(I assume that you refer to the case when a text/plain alternative is
also available.)

I am not sure how Gnus currently handles multipart/alternative.  On
the one hand, rfc2046 clearly that alternatives are ordered by
"increasing faithfulness to the original contents".  On the other
hand, Gnus should allow the user to override this default in .gnus.

Gnus has an `mm-alternative-precedence' variable, which you can play
with to alter precedences.  The following code shifts `text/html' to
the very end of the precedence list:

    (setq mm-alternative-precedence (delete "text/html"
					    mm-alternative-precedence)
	  mm-alternative-precedence (nconc mm-alternative-precedence
					   (list "text/html")))

The trouble with the above code is that it won't work from stock
`.gnus' because `mm-alternative-precedence' is void at the time
`.gnus' is run.  So you have to use `eval-after-load' or `require' mm
from .gnus, which is, well, yucky.

* Re: html and text
@ 1999-01-07  8:51     ` Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1999-01-07  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Hrvoje> Gnus has an `mm-alternative-precedence' variable, which you can play
  Hrvoje> with to alter precedences.  The following code shifts `text/html' to
  Hrvoje> the very end of the precedence list:

  Hrvoje>     (setq mm-alternative-precedence (delete "text/html"
  Hrvoje> mm-alternative-precedence) mm-alternative-precedence (nconc
  Hrvoje> mm-alternative-precedence (list "text/html")))

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. The bad thing is with attached HTML, w3
tries to connect to the server to complete images and stuff. Which is no good
if you have a dial-up connection.

Is there any simple way to get the old display-a-button-and-launch-netscape
behavior back?

Thanks,
Stefan.
--

@ 1999-01-07 11:53       ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-01-07 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Stefan> Is there any simple way to get the old
 Stefan> display-a-button-and-launch-netscape behavior back?

Hmm, perhaps deleting "text/html" from `mm-user-automatic-display'
helps? (I don't grok the whole stuff myself.)

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: html and text
@ 1999-01-07 13:39       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-01-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   Hrvoje> Gnus has an `mm-alternative-precedence' variable, which you can play
>   Hrvoje> with to alter precedences.  The following code shifts `text/html' to
>   Hrvoje> the very end of the precedence list:
>
>   Hrvoje>     (setq mm-alternative-precedence (delete "text/html"
>   Hrvoje> mm-alternative-precedence) mm-alternative-precedence (nconc
>   Hrvoje> mm-alternative-precedence (list "text/html")))
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

Strange.  It worked for me, at least in 0.65 when I last tried it.
What is the value of `mm-alternative-precedence' after evaluating that
code?

> Is there any simple way to get the old
> display-a-button-and-launch-netscape behavior back?

/What/ old display-a-button-and-launch-netscape behaviour?

* Re: html and text
@ 1999-01-07 14:06         ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-01-07 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> >   Hrvoje> Gnus has an `mm-alternative-precedence' variable, which you can play
> >   Hrvoje> with to alter precedences.  The following code shifts `text/html' to
> >   Hrvoje> the very end of the precedence list:
> >
> >   Hrvoje>     (setq mm-alternative-precedence (delete "text/html"
> >   Hrvoje> mm-alternative-precedence) mm-alternative-precedence (nconc
> >   Hrvoje> mm-alternative-precedence (list "text/html")))
> >
> > Unfortunately, that doesn't work.
>
> Strange.  It worked for me, at least in 0.65 when I last tried it.
> What is the value of `mm-alternative-precedence' after evaluating that
> code?
>
> > Is there any simple way to get the old
> > display-a-button-and-launch-netscape behavior back?
>
> /What/ old display-a-button-and-launch-netscape behaviour?

  I believe he means 'tm' behaviour.

-bp

* Re: html and text
@ 1999-01-07 14:43           ` Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1999-01-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

  >> /What/ old display-a-button-and-launch-netscape behaviour?

  William>   I believe he means 'tm' behaviour.

William is right. I used tm before. For HTML attachments, URLs and such, it
displayed

[2. sgdgds  html]

You clicked on the button and it launched Netscape (or any other browser)
with that text area (or URL).

Any idea how to make this the default action in pgnus?
cu
Stefan.
--

@ 1999-01-12  6:56             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-12  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Waldherr <stefan@waldherr.org> writes:

> William is right. I used tm before. For HTML attachments, URLs and such, it
> displayed
>
> [2. sgdgds  html]
>
> You clicked on the button and it launched Netscape (or any other browser)
> with that text area (or URL).
>
> Any idea how to make this the default action in pgnus?

I think if you remove "text/html" from mm-user-automatic-display, and
then specify in your .mailcap file that text/html should be sent to
Netscape, that would be the result.  Probably.

* Re: html and text
@ 2001-09-09 17:08 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-09-09 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@softjoys.ru> writes:
> Can I force it to display text version by default, since it does not
> involve html rendering which takes significant amount of time?

Along with mm-discouraged-alternatives, you may as well want:

(setq mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

That's useful if you object to automatic HTML rendering generally.

* Re: html and text
@ 2001-09-09 15:58 ` Amos Gouaux
From: Amos Gouaux @ 2001-09-09 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

ak> 1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html
ak> Can I force it to display text version by default, since it does not
ak> involve html rendering which takes significant amount of time?

I think you want

    (add-to-list 'mm-discouraged-alternatives "text/html")

--
Amos

* html and text
@ 2001-09-09 15:55 Alexander Kotelnikov
From: Alexander Kotelnikov @ 2001-09-09 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

Sometimes I get messafes that consist of the same text in two forms:
text and html. Then gnus displays html and gives me a menu:
1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html
Can I force it to display text version by default, since it does not
involve html rendering which takes significant amount of time?

Thanks,
--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia