* Reproducible agent-related server duplication.
@ 2003-11-16 20:37 Gaute B Strokkenes
       [not found] ` <87y8ugyrri.fsf-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-11-16 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

My primary server is the news server of my old university,
nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk.  Since I graduated this summer I am no longer
able to use it, but I still keep it around since I have stuff that I
care about in the agent cache.

Whenever I started Gnus I am asked the question:

  Unable to open nntp:nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk, go offline? (y or n)

to which I always answer yes.

When I'm in the Group buffer I occasionally say `J s'.  Sometimes (but
not always) I am then asked the question above again, exactly three
times.  I always answer yes.

When I enter the server buffer this is what I see:
     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nntp:nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk} (offline) (agent)
     {nntp:nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk} (offline) (agent)
     {nntp:nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk} (offline) (agent)
     {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened) (agent)
     {nnml:} (opened)
     {nntp:nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk} (offline) (agent)

As you can see, there are precisely three duplicates of the nntp-serv
entry.

The duplication seems to be linked to the question reappearing three
times.  They're never there _before_ I say `J s', and always there
_after_ .

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
The Osmonds!  You are all Osmonds!!  Throwing up on a freeway at dawn!!!

* Re: Reproducible agent-related server duplication.
       [not found] ` <87y8ugyrri.fsf-1xO5oi07KQx4cg9Nei1l7Q@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-11-17  8:50   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2003-11-17  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:37:05 +0100 Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:

Gaute> As you can see, there are precisely three duplicates of the nntp-serv
Gaute> entry.

Gaute> The duplication seems to be linked to the question reappearing three
Gaute> times.  They're never there _before_ I say `J s', and always there
Gaute> _after_ .

I do have a similar problem which I always meant to look at a little
closer:

I have a IMAP secondary select method which is agentized:
,----
| (nnimap "FHI"
|               (nnimap-address "imap.rz-berlin.mpg.de")
|               (nnimap-expunge-on-close always))
`----

Whenever I change something /on/ this server while unplugged (i.e.
change marks) and then go plugged I am asked whether to synchronize
flags. naturally I say yes, as that's what I want. The Gnus opens a
*new* connection to the server and then I have to entries in the
server buffer...

I am suspicious that the agent uses a somewhat different select method
(I do see a "openssl ..." flashing in the minibuffer when the agent
connects.) but so far have not had time to carefully look at it.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* FIXED: Reproducible agent-related server duplication.
@ 2003-11-21 16:00     ` Kevin Greiner
       [not found]       ` <uk75t7lu0.fsf_-_-9/l4zSBFAMwJvtFkdXX2HpqQE7yCjDx5@public.gmane.org>
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-11-21 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen@jochen-kuepper.de> writes:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:37:05 +0100 Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
>
> Gaute> As you can see, there are precisely three duplicates of the nntp-serv
> Gaute> entry.
>
> Gaute> The duplication seems to be linked to the question reappearing three
> Gaute> times.  They're never there _before_ I say `J s', and always there
> Gaute> _after_ .
>
> I do have a similar problem which I always meant to look at a little
> closer:
>
> I have a IMAP secondary select method which is agentized:
> ,----
> | (nnimap "FHI"
> |               (nnimap-address "imap.rz-berlin.mpg.de")
> |               (nnimap-expunge-on-close always))
> `----
>
> Whenever I change something /on/ this server while unplugged (i.e.
> change marks) and then go plugged I am asked whether to synchronize
> flags. naturally I say yes, as that's what I want. The Gnus opens a
> *new* connection to the server and then I have to entries in the
> server buffer...
>
> I am suspicious that the agent uses a somewhat different select method
> (I do see a "openssl ..." flashing in the minibuffer when the agent
> connects.) but so far have not had time to carefully look at it.

Yes, both of these problems are related and have been annoying people
for some time.  I just checked in the patch to convert the agent from
using methods (which the agent is unable to keep synchronized with the
actual server methods) to server names.

Kevin

* Re: FIXED: Reproducible agent-related server duplication.
       [not found]       ` <uk75t7lu0.fsf_-_-9/l4zSBFAMwJvtFkdXX2HpqQE7yCjDx5@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-11-21 18:01         ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2003-11-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:00:55 -0600 Kevin Greiner wrote:

Kevin> I just checked in the patch to convert the agent from using
Kevin> methods (which the agent is unable to keep synchronized with
Kevin> the actual server methods) to server names.

Seems to work for some quick testing -- thanks a lot. A big lot! :))

@ 2003-11-23 17:07       ` Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-11-23 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 nov 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:

> I just checked in the patch to convert the agent from using methods
> (which the agent is unable to keep synchronized with the actual
> server methods) to server names.

Does this mean that I can delete the file News/agent/lib/servers ?
The filestamp on my copy is from early July, and the content is still
the same old scrambled hodgepodge (as discussed in private mail).

Thanks for your work, btw.

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
Why are these athletic shoe salesmen following me??

* Re: FIXED: Reproducible agent-related server duplication.
@ 2003-11-24 16:24         ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-11-24 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:

> On 21 nov 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:
>
>> I just checked in the patch to convert the agent from using methods
>> (which the agent is unable to keep synchronized with the actual
>> server methods) to server names.
>
> Does this mean that I can delete the file News/agent/lib/servers ?

No, that is still the location were the agentized servers are stored.

> The filestamp on my copy is from early July, and the content is still
> the same old scrambled hodgepodge (as discussed in private mail).

True. So far, gnus has been internally converting the old format to
the new.  What you probably want to do, but are not required to do, is
edit the list of agentized servers.  That will trigger an update to
the servers file.  So, open the server buffer then use 'J r' and 'J a'
to change which servers are agentized then undo the change.  Each
update will trigger a file update so, when you are done, you'll have
the same list of agentized servers with the updated servers file.

> Thanks for your work, btw.

Your welcome.

@ 2003-11-24 19:34           ` Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-11-24 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 nov 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:

> Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:
>
>> The filestamp on my copy is from early July, and the content is
>> still the same old scrambled hodgepodge (as discussed in private
>> mail).
>
> True. So far, gnus has been internally converting the old format to
> the new.  What you probably want to do, but are not required to do,
> is edit the list of agentized servers.  That will trigger an update
> to the servers file.  So, open the server buffer then use 'J r' and
> 'J a' to change which servers are agentized then undo the change.

Alas, this doesn't quite seem to work.  I managed to remove and add my
gmane entry without problems, but when I try `J r' with my main
server, I get "Server not in the agent program".  (Curiously enough `J
a' leads to "Server not in the agent program".)  My *Server* buffer
looks like:

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened) (agent)
     {nnml:} (opened)
     {nntp:nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk} (offline) (agent)

News/agent/lib/server:
--8<--
("nntp:news.gmane.org" "native")
--8<--

> Each update will trigger a file update so, when you are done, you'll
> have the same list of agentized servers with the updated servers
> file.

Well, we're getting there, slowly but surely ^_^

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
Are we THERE yet?  My MIND is a SUBMARINE!!

* Re: FIXED: Reproducible agent-related server duplication.
@ 2003-11-24 22:17             ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-11-24 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:

> On 24 nov 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:
>
>> Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:
>>
>>> The filestamp on my copy is from early July, and the content is
>>> still the same old scrambled hodgepodge (as discussed in private
>>> mail).
>>
>> True. So far, gnus has been internally converting the old format to
>> the new.  What you probably want to do, but are not required to do,
>> is edit the list of agentized servers.  That will trigger an update
>> to the servers file.  So, open the server buffer then use 'J r' and
>> 'J a' to change which servers are agentized then undo the change.
>
> Alas, this doesn't quite seem to work.  I managed to remove and add my
> gmane entry without problems, but when I try `J r' with my main
> server, I get "Server not in the agent program".  (Curiously enough `J
> a' leads to "Server not in the agent program".)  My *Server* buffer
> looks like:
>
>      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>      {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened) (agent)
>      {nnml:} (opened)
>      {nntp:nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk} (offline) (agent)
>
> News/agent/lib/server:
> --8<--
> ("nntp:news.gmane.org" "native")
> --8<--
>
>> Each update will trigger a file update so, when you are done, you'll
>> have the same list of agentized servers with the updated servers
>> file.
>
> Well, we're getting there, slowly but surely ^_^

Gaute,
Thanks for the info.  I'm fairly certain that I know the cause (the
main server is aliased as "native" in the list).  I'll get the fix out
tomorrow.

@ 2003-11-25  2:31               ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-11-25  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:

>>> True. So far, gnus has been internally converting the old format to
>>> the new.  What you probably want to do, but are not required to do,
>>> is edit the list of agentized servers.  That will trigger an update
>>> to the servers file.  So, open the server buffer then use 'J r' and
>>> 'J a' to change which servers are agentized then undo the change.
>>
>> Alas, this doesn't quite seem to work.  I managed to remove and add my
>> gmane entry without problems, but when I try `J r' with my main
>> server, I get "Server not in the agent program".  (Curiously enough `J
>> a' leads to "Server not in the agent program".)  My *Server* buffer
>> looks like:
>>
>>      {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
>>      {nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened) (agent)
>>      {nnml:} (opened)
>>      {nntp:nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk} (offline) (agent)
>>
>> News/agent/lib/server:
>> --8<--
>> ("nntp:news.gmane.org" "native")
>> --8<--
>>
>>> Each update will trigger a file update so, when you are done, you'll
>>> have the same list of agentized servers with the updated servers
>>> file.
>>
>> Well, we're getting there, slowly but surely ^_^
>
> Gaute,
> Thanks for the info.  I'm fairly certain that I know the cause (the
> main server is aliased as "native" in the list).  I'll get the fix out
> tomorrow.

OK, a fix has been submitted.  The server buffer isn't using
gnus-method-to-server to generate the server names so it uses names
incompatible with the agent.  I've modified the server buffer to
support both its internally generated name and the name returned by
gnus-method-to-server (this avoids a feature change).  The
gnus-agent-add/remove-server functions were then updated to match.

@ 2003-11-25  4:59                 ` Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-11-25  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25 nov 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:

> OK, a fix has been submitted.  The server buffer isn't using
> gnus-method-to-server to generate the server names so it uses names
> incompatible with the agent.  I've modified the server buffer to
> support both its internally generated name and the name returned by
> gnus-method-to-server (this avoids a feature change).  The
> gnus-agent-add/remove-server functions were then updated to match.

Splendid!

I also note that the agent/cache integration has suddenly starting
working for me.  (I was one of the people who begged a few months ago;
I just never found the time to complain about it not working ^_^)

Thanks again.

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
All this time I've been VIEWING a RUSSIAN MIDGET SODOMIZE a HOUSECAT!