* Compressing again
@ 1997-08-02 22:09 David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-08-02 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tried to figure out why using compressed nnml mails doesn't
work for me, but have failed. To make it possible to resolve it, I
have a few questions:

1) How does Gnus know that it should look for 111.gz instead of 111?
   All I can see jka-compr doing is decoding files called
   something.gz. If foo.gz doesn't exist, and you try to open foo,
   jka-compr doesn't open foo.gz for you. Do I have to set some
   variable or something?

2) Did everyone else who got it to work only "require" jka-compr
   (which does work) and compress files?

3) If I should try to figure out what's wrong, which file(s) and
   function(s) should I look in?

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Cats are smarter than dogs.  You can't make eight cats pull a sled through

* Re: Compressing again
@ 1997-08-03  9:38 ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-08-03  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:

> I have tried to figure out why using compressed nnml mails doesn't
> work for me, but have failed. To make it possible to resolve it, I
> have a few questions:

> 2) Did everyone else who got it to work only "require" jka-compr
>    (which does work) and compress files?

That's all you need in your .emacs file. However I found that there
are some files that should be left uncompressed such as your active
file and your .overview file.

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Compressing again
@ 1997-08-03  9:44 ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-08-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also make sure that the archive directory is uncompressed.

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Compressing again
@ 1997-08-04 19:41   ` David Hedbor
       [not found]     ` <m3hgd5wtsa.fsf@mouser.hedbor.org>
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-08-04 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

After talking to Eze in mail, zlibc came up. After installing this,
uncompressing works fine (ie Gnus finds the gzipped files, as zlibc
takes care of that). Does everyone else use this as well, and they
also forgot about it? Perhaps Gnus could be made to try <num>.gz as
well, so that zlibc isn't needed?

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Bachelor:

* Re: Compressing again
       [not found]       ` <yahbu3dksx6.fsf@twi.tudelft.nl>
@ 1997-08-05 22:13         ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-08-05 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans de Graaff <J.J.deGraaff@twi.tudelft.nl> writes:

> It seems as if you have a really strange setup when it comes to
> compressed articles in nnml groups.

I don't though. I tried starting with a close to empty .gnus, and I
got exactly the same result as I normally do.

> Maybe related to your other problems, because again it works fine for
> me. Moving, editing, etc.

If I just knew what the heck was wrong. :-/

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.

* Re: Compressing again
       [not found]     ` <m3hgd5wtsa.fsf@mouser.hedbor.org>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-08-13 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:

> After talking to Eze in mail, zlibc came up. After installing this,
> uncompressing works fine (ie Gnus finds the gzipped files, as zlibc
> takes care of that). Does everyone else use this as well, and they
> also forgot about it? Perhaps Gnus could be made to try <num>.gz as
> well, so that zlibc isn't needed?

zlibc isn't needed.  nnml explicitly checks for "<num>.gz" if you have
jka-compr required.

* Re: Compressing again
@ 1997-08-13 22:08       ` Colin Rafferty
       [not found]         ` <m3203x9xwh.fsf@mouser.hedbor.org>
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1997-08-13 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

> zlibc isn't needed.  nnml explicitly checks for "<num>.gz" if you have
> jka-compr required.

More specifically, you need to require 'jka-compr before 'nnheader.

This is what has been bugging me for a long while.

--
Colin

* Re: Compressing again
@ 1997-08-13 22:12       ` William M. Perry
       [not found]         ` <x7lo25d0lg.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-08-13 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:
>
> > After talking to Eze in mail, zlibc came up. After installing this,
> > uncompressing works fine (ie Gnus finds the gzipped files, as zlibc
> > takes care of that). Does everyone else use this as well, and they
> > also forgot about it? Perhaps Gnus could be made to try <num>.gz as
> > well, so that zlibc isn't needed?
>
> zlibc isn't needed.  nnml explicitly checks for "<num>.gz" if you have
> jka-compr required.

  jka-compr bad, crypt++ good!  :)  At least in Mule.

-Bill P.

* Re: Compressing again
       [not found]         ` <x7lo25d0lg.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1997-08-14  4:16           ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-08-14  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> WMP>   jka-compr bad, crypt++ good!  :)  At least in Mule.
>
> Yeah, well, MULE is second runner up in the Pure Evil competition, after
> ActiveX and MIME. :)

  Agreed.  I'd rank it higher than mime though.

-bp

* Re: Compressing again
       [not found]         ` <x7lo25d0lg.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1997-08-14 14:33         ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1997-08-14 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

B>   jka-compr bad, crypt++ good!  :) At least in Mule.

Why is that?  I haven't noticed any problems with them.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
Gloffing is a state of mine.

* Re: Compressing again
@ 1997-08-14 14:56           ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-08-14 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> B>   jka-compr bad, crypt++ good!  :) At least in Mule.
>
> Why is that?  I haven't noticed any problems with them.

  Last I heard jka-compr didn't deal well with various (en|de)coding
formats.  Steven Baur would be able to give a better answer.

-Bill p.

* Re: Compressing again
       [not found]           ` <ocrg1sclunc.fsf@ml.com>
@ 1997-08-15  3:12             ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-08-15  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ml.com> writes:

> The simplest test for this is to stick the following line before the
> require:
>
>     (if (featurep 'nnheader) (error "Too late for jka-compr!"))
>
> In general, you should make sure that things that modify the overall
> behavior of emacs (like jka-compr) are loaded first in your .emacs.

Thank you! I think I loaded message before (or something like
that). It works now. Strange that no one said anything about this
before. Great!

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Pryor's Observation: