* LDAP support.
@ 2000-11-07 13:47 Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2000-11-07 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Is it possible to use LDAP with Gnus? I use it with BBDB and I'd like
to add LDAP support to it (i.e., use both if possible).

I've found nothing at the info file.

Thanks!
--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.

* posting styles problem: "body" attribute
@ 2000-11-07 14:23 ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2000-11-07 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From the Picking Nits department -

I'm playing around with posting styles:

,----[ ~/.gnus ]
| (setq gnus-inhibit-posting-styles nil)
| (setq gnus-posting-styles
|       '((".*"
|          (body "\n\nbw")
|          (signature-file "/billw/Mail/.signature"))))
`----

When I start a new message, either with 'm' in the Group buffer or by
replying to another message, I get an unwanted newline after my
initials and before message-signature-separator, like this:

        ,----[ with posting styles ]
        | Gcc: nnml:archive.2000-11
        | --text follows this line--
        |

        | bw
ACK! => |
        | --
        | Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
        `----

With posting styles disabled, there's still a newline before
message-signature-separator, of course:

      ,----[ without posting styles ]
      | Gcc: nnml:archive.2000-11
      | --text follows this line--
NL => |
      | --
      | Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
      `----

So is it possible to make the "body" attribute in my posting style
insert its stuff *after* the newline? Or is there some other way to
automatically delete/disable the newline?

Thanks -

bw (newline removed manually)
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw

* Re: posting styles problem: "body" attribute
@ 2000-11-07 16:16   ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 2000-11-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

[...]

> So is it possible to make the "body" attribute in my posting style
> insert its stuff *after* the newline? Or is there some other way to
> automatically delete/disable the newline?

The newline comes from `message-insert-signature' (see message.el),
what you can do is to create your own function to insert the
signature, for instance:

;; Untested!
(defun my-sig ()
  (interactive)
  (insert "Your cool signature here."))

and then you can use:

,----[ ~/.gnus ]
| (setq gnus-posting-styles
|       '((".*"
|          (body "\n\nbw")
|          (signature my-sig))))
`----

Francisco (not newline removed) ;-)
--
If you know everything - snap out of it. If you know nothing - don't be so
modest. If you know something - work from there.

* Re: LDAP support.
@ 2000-11-08  0:53 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2000-11-08  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:

> Hi! Is it possible to use LDAP with Gnus? I use it with BBDB and I'd
> like to add LDAP support to it (i.e., use both if possible).
>
> I've found nothing at the info file.

Have a look at the EUDC package. It supports many directory services as
a client, including LDAP and the BBDB.

        Daniel

--
Language has created the word 'loneliness' to express the pain of being
alone, and the word 'solitude' to express the glory of being alone.

* Re: LDAP support.
@ 2000-11-08 11:40   ` Fabrice Gamberini
From: Fabrice Gamberini @ 2000-11-08 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Daniel> Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:
    >>
    >> Hi! Is it possible to use LDAP with Gnus? I use it with BBDB and I'd
    >> like to add LDAP support to it (i.e., use both if possible).
    >>
    >> I've found nothing at the info file.

    Daniel> Have a look at the EUDC package. It supports many directory services as
    Daniel> a client, including LDAP and the BBDB.

Hello,

I gave a look at EUDC, it seems to need an 'ldapsearch' command-line tool to
interrogate the LDAP server, however I have been unable to find a binary
version of this tool for Win32 --i'm using NT-Emacs on W95 -, has anybody seen
such a beast ?

thanks

fab.

--
Fabrice Gambérini
  -- = Wavecom S.A. = --

* Re: LDAP support.
@ 2000-11-08 15:04     ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2000-11-08 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Daniel Pittman, ding

On 08 Nov 2000, fabrice.gamberini@wavecom.fr wrote:

>     Daniel> Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:
>     >>
>     >> Hi! Is it possible to use LDAP with Gnus? I use it with BBDB
>     >> and I'd like to add LDAP support to it (i.e., use both if
>     >> possible).
>     >>
>     >> I've found nothing at the info file.
>
>     Daniel> Have a look at the EUDC package. It supports many
>     Daniel> directory services as a client, including LDAP and the
>     Daniel> BBDB.

Going to look at it... ;-)

Thanks!

> I gave a look at EUDC, it seems to need an 'ldapsearch' command-line
> tool to interrogate the LDAP server, however I have been unable to
> find a binary version of this tool for Win32 --i'm using NT-Emacs on
> W95 -, has anybody seen such a beast ?

ldapsearch is available with OpenLDAP (http://www.openldap.org). You
might look at it to see if there's a compiled Windows version of it.

See you,
--

@ 2000-11-09 15:16       ` Fabrice Gamberini
From: Fabrice Gamberini @ 2000-11-09 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Daniel Pittman

    Jorge> ldapsearch is available with OpenLDAP (http://www.openldap.org). You
    Jorge> might look at it to see if there's a compiled Windows version of it.

OK, finally I have compiled ldapsearch on win32 -using cygwin-. Now all I need
is some time to RTFM.

cheers.