* a mysterious star on the Gnus firmament
@ 2019-03-22 21:20 Emanuel Berg
       [not found] ` <m2va0aknx1.fsf@linux-m68k.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-03-22 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: ding

OK, this must be the silliest problem yet, that
I have been unable to solve!

Just now, I fell asleep for like ~1s but it was
enough for me to accidentally press some
buttons while in a Gnus Summary buffer.
What happened was, an asterisk (the `*' char)
appeared to the right of a single e-mail, at
the 2nd position left-to-right (or Emacs buffer
column 1, if you will).

Inspecting `gnus-summary-line-format', we see
that

    gnus-summary-line-format is a variable
    defined in `gnus.el'. Its value is
    "%*%U%3{%R%} %I%1{%f%} %5{%s%}

so it would seem the `*' is in the "%R spot"!
Further down, it says

    %R  "A" if this article has been replied to,
        " " otherwise (character)

Hm - first, what does that mean? I get it "A"
is "replied to" (A for "answered", perhaps),
and that " " (i.e. no visible char) means it
isn't answered I mean replied to. But what does
"(character)" mean?

Second, what does the `*' char mean, how did it
get there (except for me falling asleep), and
how do I remove it?

TIA

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: a mysterious star on the Gnus firmament
       [not found] ` <m2va0aknx1.fsf@linux-m68k.org>
@ 2019-03-23 18:41   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-03-23 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: ding

Andreas Schwab wrote:

>> Second, what does the `*' char mean, how did
>> it get there (except for me falling asleep),
>> and how do I remove it?
>
> * runs the command gnus-cache-enter-article
> (found in gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an
> interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp function
> in ‘gnus-cache.el’.

Thank you. You remove it with the default `M-*'
for `gnus-cache-remove-article'.