* New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30  0:18 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cvs updating no longer works for me.  Are the same commands supposed to
work with the server moved?  Lars last post says it will be announced,
maybe I missed it.

http://www.gnus.org/distribution.html

Has this to say:

    $ cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
    CVS password: gnus
    $ cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot checkout gnus

But I get the old slam dunk there:

 $ cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
(Logging in to gnus@cvs.gnus.org)
CVS password: <gnus>
cvs [login aborted]: recv() from server cvs.gnus.org: Connection reset by peer
[209 reader]/usr/local

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30  0:53 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2001-10-30  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Cvs updating no longer works for me.  Are the same commands supposed to
> work with the server moved?  Lars last post says it will be announced,
> maybe I missed it.

I can do it what I used to do.

% alias gnuscvs
cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot -z 1
% gnuscvs update -P -d gnus

By the way, I don't see any new articles in
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30  1:56   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Cvs updating no longer works for me.  Are the same commands supposed to
>> work with the server moved?  Lars last post says it will be announced,
>> maybe I missed it.
>
> I can do it what I used to do.
>
> % alias gnuscvs
> cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot -z 1
> % gnuscvs update -P -d gnus
>
> By the way, I don't see any new articles in

Then this should work right?
cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
CVS password: <gnus> <RET>

But it gives me this instead:
cvs [login aborted]: recv() from server cvs.gnus.org: Connection reset
by peer

Trying the command you showed:
cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot -z 1

I just get a usage message from cvs

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30  2:12     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2001-10-30  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Then this should work right?
> cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
> CVS password: <gnus> <RET>

Yes, it works on me.  It was successful without any messages.
However, I use "gnus" not "<gnus>" for the password.

CVS password: gnus<RET>
 => (none)

CVS password: <gnus><RET>
 => cvs login: authorization failed: server cvs.gnus.org rejected access to /usr/local/cvsroot for user gnus

> But it gives me this instead:
> cvs [login aborted]: recv() from server cvs.gnus.org: Connection reset
> by peer

Oh, that's too bad.  I don't kown why it does so.
--

@ 2001-10-30  2:30       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Then this should work right?
>> cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
>> CVS password: <gnus> <RET>
>
> Yes, it works on me.  It was successful without any messages.
> However, I use "gnus" not "<gnus>" for the password.
>
> CVS password: gnus<RET>
>  => (none)
>
> CVS password: <gnus><RET>
>  => cvs login: authorization failed: server cvs.gnus.org rejected access to /usr/local/cvsroot for user gnus

I'm not actually using the brackets (<>) they were just supposed to
indicate what I typed in.

But I see the problem now.  Internet congestion... I can't get a
traceroute or ping thru either on
cvs.gnus.org

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30  2:45         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2001-10-30  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But I see the problem now.  Internet congestion... I can't get a
> traceroute or ping thru either on cvs.gnus.org

I've notices that the new cvs.gnus.org does not allow traceroute
or ping signals.  Does your program (possibly sh script) use them?
Yes, I used to use ping. :-)  Now, I am using the following form
to check whether the server is alive or not in the csh scripts.

if (`cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot\\
 status gnus/lisp/ChangeLog|& grep '^File: ChangeLog'| wc -l` == 1) then
--

@ 2001-10-30  3:39           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> But I see the problem now.  Internet congestion... I can't get a
>> traceroute or ping thru either on cvs.gnus.org
>
> I've notices that the new cvs.gnus.org does not allow traceroute
> or ping signals.  Does your program (possibly sh script) use them?
> Yes, I used to use ping. :-)  Now, I am using the following form
> to check whether the server is alive or not in the csh scripts.
>
> if (`cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot\\
>  status gnus/lisp/ChangeLog|& grep '^File: ChangeLog'| wc -l` == 1) then

Doesn't this assume you are already logged in?  I can't get logged in.

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30  4:06             ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2001-10-30  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> if (`cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot\\
>>  status gnus/lisp/ChangeLog|& grep '^File: ChangeLog'| wc -l` == 1) then

> Doesn't this assume you are already logged in?  I can't get logged in.

This has no relation that I can log in the server.  Is your
`cvs' a real cvs executable?  Otherwise, there seems to be
something wrong in your environment (e.g. firewall).
By the way, probably it also be unrelated to that, I'm using the
development version of cvs which I got it from cvs.cvshome.org
(unfortunately, it currently does not provide the anonymous cvs
access).
--

@ 2001-10-30  5:03               ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> if (`cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot\\
>>>  status gnus/lisp/ChangeLog|& grep '^File: ChangeLog'| wc -l` == 1) then
>
>> Doesn't this assume you are already logged in?  I can't get logged in.
>
> This has no relation that I can log in the server.

Your command line indicates a remote connection.

You mean you can check status of files and grep through ChangeLogs
without logging in?  It appears you are calling a cvs server and
running scripts in cvsroot.  Can that happen withoug logging in or
some other form of connecting to the machine?

>  Is your `cvs' a real cvs executable?

rpm -q cvs
cvs-1.11-3

Its the same cvs I've been updating with for mnths.  For example

> Otherwise, there seems to be
> something wrong in your environment (e.g. firewall).

I don't think so.
    cd /usr/local/tramp
 $ cvs update
cvs server: Updating .
cvs server: Updating lisp
cvs server: Updating test
cvs server: Updating texi

    cd /usr/local/bbdb
 $ cvs update
cvs server: Updating .
P ChangeLog
cvs server: Updating bits
cvs server: Updating bits/bbdb-filters

[...] snip

      cd /usr/local/gnus
$ cvs update
cvs [update aborted]: recv() from server cvs.gnus.org: Connection reset by peer

I'm not very adept at using cvs but, my executable seems to be working
in all cases but gnus.  That should in theory, rule out a firewall or
networking misconfiguration.

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30  5:34                 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2001-10-30  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You mean you can check status of files and grep through ChangeLogs
> without logging in?

Yes I do.  I believe that we have no need to log in for each
time.

> It appears you are calling a cvs server and running scripts in
> cvsroot.  Can that happen withoug logging in or some other form of
> connecting to the machine?

Logging in procedure is necessary only when the entry for the
server is not in the file ~/.cvspass or the password has
changed.  However,

>> Is your `cvs' a real cvs executable?

> rpm -q cvs
> cvs-1.11-3

> Its the same cvs I've been updating with for mnths.  For example

>> Otherwise, there seems to be something wrong in your environment
>> (e.g. firewall).

> I don't think so.

[...]

> I'm not very adept at using cvs but, my executable seems to be
> working in all cases but gnus.  That should in theory, rule out a
> firewall or networking misconfiguration.

There seems to be no problem in your environment, but I don't
know what is the matter.
--

@ 2001-10-30  5:41                   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2001-10-30  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There seems to be no problem in your environment, but I don't
> know what is the matter.

By the way, the IP address of cvs.gnus.org is:

% nslookup cvs.gnus.org
[...]
Address:  195.204.10.66

% traceroute cvs.gnus.org
traceroute to cvs.gnus.org (195.204.10.66), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
[...]
15  * * *
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30  6:20                   ` Harry Putnam
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Yes I do.  I believe that we have no need to log in for each
> time.
>
>> It appears you are calling a cvs server and running scripts in
>> cvsroot.  Can that happen withoug logging in or some other form of
>> connecting to the machine?
>
> Logging in procedure is necessary only when the entry for the
> server is not in the file ~/.cvspass or the password has
> changed.  However,

Sorry Katsumi.  I was using the term login to loosely.  I really meant
some method of connecting to the server.  Its happening from your
~/.cvspass file but none the less a handshake is taking place and info
is being exchanged.  Thats the part I'm not able to do.

Thanks for your help.  I learned a little about cvs just from looking
at your usage.  If this doesn't clear up by tomorrow. I will assume it
isn't just internet noise problems.

My traceroute gets to an Oslo network in Norway before the " * * *"
starts.
15  oslo-a1.enitel.net (194.19.1.112)  257.443 ms  261.563 ms  258.211
ms
16  194.19.90.66 (194.19.90.66)  242.419 ms  243.956 ms  243.440 ms
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  * * *
21  * * *

But did you say the server won't accept traceroute packets anyway?

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30  7:09                     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2001-10-30  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But did you say the server won't accept traceroute packets anyway?

Certainly yes.  Besides Gnus, I know cvs.m17n.org is the same.
I heard it is the policy of the administrator.
--

@ 2001-10-30 13:57                     ` news
From: news @ 2001-10-30 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>
>> Yes I do.  I believe that we have no need to log in for each
>> time.
>>

> Sorry Katsumi.  I was using the term login to loosely.  I really meant
> some method of connecting to the server.  Its happening from your
> ~/.cvspass file but none the less a handshake is taking place and info
> is being exchanged.  Thats the part I'm not able to do.

So what's in your .cvspass file?  Did the gnus entry get blown
away?  I'm curious...

Chris

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 14:48                       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

(Chris Beggy ) news@kippona.com writes:

>> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>>
>>> Yes I do.  I believe that we have no need to log in for each
>>> time.
>>>

>> Sorry Katsumi.  I was using the term login to loosely.  I really meant
>> some method of connecting to the server.  Its happening from your
>> ~/.cvspass file but none the less a handshake is taking place and info
>> is being exchanged.  Thats the part I'm not able to do.
>>

> So what's in your .cvspass file?  Did the gnus entry get blown
> away?  I'm curious...

> Chris

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 15:03                       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Chris Beggy ) news@kippona.com writes:

>> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>>
>>> Yes I do.  I believe that we have no need to log in for each
>>> time.
>>>

>> Sorry Katsumi.  I was using the term login to loosely.  I really meant
>> some method of connecting to the server.  Its happening from your
>> ~/.cvspass file but none the less a handshake is taking place and info
>> is being exchanged.  Thats the part I'm not able to do.
>>

> So what's in your .cvspass file?  Did the gnus entry get blown
> away?  I'm curious...

I don't think it should matter if one uses this:
  cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login

Can you connect with these commands successfully?
  cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
  gnus <RET>
If you get a prompt back with no error then try:
  cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot checkout gnus

But in case it does I have this:
cat ~/.cvspass

   :pserver:gnus@quimby.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot AI=bZ
   :pserver:cvs@bonny.cs.uni-dortmund.de:/services/emacs-rcp/cvsroot A
   :pserver:cvs@sunsite.auc.dk:/pack/anoncvs Ah<Z
   :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot AI=bZ
   :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvs A
   :pserver:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot Ah<Z
   :pserver:anonymous@cvs.red-bean.com:/usr/local/cvs A
   :pserver:bbdb@cvs.xemacs.org:/usr/CVSroot Au?Iu 0,cd
   :pserver:anonymous@cvs.bbdb.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bbdb A
   :pserver:anoncvs@gcc.gnu.org:/cvs/gcc Ay=0=h<Z
   :pserver:anonymous@cvs.tramp.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tramp A

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 15:27                     ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2001-10-30 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I had to change the file CVS/Root to mention cvs.gnus.org instead
of quimby.gnus.org.  Then doing a

  cvs update

worked.

I don't have a .cvspass file, and didn't have to do a login command.

Hope this helps.

Dan

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 16:40                         ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2001-10-30 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just to make it clear that Harry is not the only one with the problem:
I'm seeing the exact same behaviour.

BTW: It is not a nameserver problem:

ping cvs.gnus.org
PING cvs.gnus.org (195.204.10.66): 56 data bytes
[ ^C after a while ]
--- cvs.gnus.org ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

I'm not behind a firewall and did not change my network or cvs setup,
but I have not been able to update cvs gnus since the move. Before
everything had worked fine.

So what is?
Robert Epprecht

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 17:27                       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc+news@uwo.ca> writes:

> I had to change the file CVS/Root to mention cvs.gnus.org instead
> of quimby.gnus.org.  Then doing a

cat /usr/local/gnus/CVS/Root
:pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot

pwd /usr/local/gnus
 $ cvs update
cvs [update aborted]: recv() from server cvs.gnus.org: Connection reset by peer

>   cvs update
>
> worked.
>
> I don't have a .cvspass file, and didn't have to do a login command.

Can you connect with these commands successfully?
  cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
  gnus <RET>
  cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot checkout gnus

I renamed ~/.cvspass
ls ~/.cvspass
ls: /home/reader/.cvspass: No such file or directory

Then:
 $ cvs -d :pserver:gnus@cvs.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
(Logging in to gnus@cvs.gnus.org)
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: recv() from server cvs.gnus.org: Connection reset by peer

It fails here.

As mentioned in a previous post I can connect to several other
cvs :pservers, so apparantly not a local network config problem

Do you think it could be something like cat /etc/hosts.deny
MY.ISP.COM
on the cvs server config?

Who should I contact for that kind of info?

I have CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh set (for local use), but that never
mattered before.

I did try `unset CVS_RSH' and then the above commands.  Still fails.
I didn't see a way to force cvs to be more verbose about what is
happening either

man cvs
/debug  - Pattern not found
/[Dd][Ee][Bb][Uu] - Pattern not found
/verbose - Pattern not found
/\-[vV]  - Shows hits about version.

`info cvs' not much better on the above strings.

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 17:40                         ` Richard Hoskins
From: Richard Hoskins @ 2001-10-30 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Could all this just be a case of Harry's (and the other poster) DNS
not being updated properly?

--
Printed on Cathodeaenne, Radient, Smooth, 60lb. electrons

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 19:26                           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Hoskins <rmh3@alltel.net> writes:

> Could all this just be a case of Harry's (and the other poster) DNS
> not being updated properly?

Looks like its able to translate properly:
 $ uname -a
Linux reader.local.lan 2.4.9-6 #1 Thu Oct 18 09:22:43 EDT 2001 i586 unknown
[209 reader]/usr/local/gnus

$ nslookup -sil cvs.gnus.org
Server:         63.203.107.16
Address:        63.203.107.16#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   cvs.gnus.org
Address: 195.204.10.66

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 19:37                           ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-10-30 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Hoskins <rmh3@alltel.net> writes:

> Could all this just be a case of Harry's (and the other poster) DNS
> not being updated properly?

possibly.  my CVS/Root files look like:

:pserver:gnus@quimby.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot

since I changed the hostname from cvs to quimby, but the DNS records
for cvs have been updated.  cvs is working fine for me...

(to the people who cvs isn't working for)
what is your external IP visible on the internet?  does it have a
reverse lookup+forward lookup defined?

ttyl,
--
Josh Huber

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 20:07                             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-30 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Richard Hoskins <rmh3@alltel.net> writes:
>
>> Could all this just be a case of Harry's (and the other poster) DNS
>> not being updated properly?
>
> possibly.  my CVS/Root files look like:
>
> :pserver:gnus@quimby.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot
>
> since I changed the hostname from cvs to quimby, but the DNS records
> for cvs have been updated.  cvs is working fine for me...
>
> (to the people who cvs isn't working for)
> what is your external IP visible on the internet?  does it have a
> reverse lookup+forward lookup defined?

A note here is that updating has worked from this IP in the past.

I'm not sure how to tell.
The IP is  66.51.210.228
Can the information you asked about be devined remotely by someone
here who knows how?

Or does this help?
   fwhois 66.51.210.228@whois.arin.net

   [whois.arin.net]
   DSL Extreme (NETBLK-DSLEXTREME-NWK-1)
      7209 Balboa Blvd.
      Van Nuys, CA 91406
      US

      Netname: DSLEXTREME-NWK-1
      Netblock: 66.51.192.0 - 66.51.223.255
      Maintainer: DSLE

      Coordinator:
         Murphy, Jim  (JM2150-ARIN)  jim@dslextreme.com
         818-902-4821 x104

      Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

      NS1.DSLEXTREME.COM		63.203.107.16
      NS2.DSLEXTREME.COM		63.203.107.17

      ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

      Record last updated on 29-Aug-2001.
      Database last updated on 30-Oct-2001 03:20:27 EDT.
   [...]

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 20:25                               ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-10-30 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:
>> what is your external IP visible on the internet?  does it have a
>> reverse lookup+forward lookup defined?
> I'm not sure how to tell.
> The IP is  66.51.210.228
> Can the information you asked about be devined remotely by someone
> here who knows how?

You do have a reverse-lookupable name for that address
(66.51.210.228.dslextreme.com), but that name has no address.  But
unless the server is treating you differently than most other clients
(i.e., it's giving you special permissions), it oughtn't care about
these DNS records.  If it does care, that's a misconfiguration.

paul

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 21:19                                 ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-10-30 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> You do have a reverse-lookupable name for that address
> (66.51.210.228.dslextreme.com), but that name has no address.  But
> unless the server is treating you differently than most other
> clients (i.e., it's giving you special permissions), it oughtn't
> care about these DNS records.  If it does care, that's a
> misconfiguration.

This is the problem, maybe.

Perhaps cvs.gnus.org has

ALL: PARANOID

in hosts.deny?

for example, my IP address at home is 65.96.250.128.  Surprisingly
(we're talking about ATT broadband here), this address resolves to a
host, and that host resolves to another IP address.  For me they
happen to be the same addresses:

65.96.250.128 -> h000094c5efff.ne.mediaone.net -> 65.96.250.128

I think ALL: PARANOID only requires that

1) your IP resolves to a hostname
2) that hostname resolves to ANY ip address.

of course, this mostly causes problems, and adds very little security
benefits...

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 21:46                                   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-10-30 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>
>> You do have a reverse-lookupable name for that address
>> (66.51.210.228.dslextreme.com), but that name has no address.  But
>> unless the server is treating you differently than most other
>> clients (i.e., it's giving you special permissions), it oughtn't
>> care about these DNS records.  If it does care, that's a
>> misconfiguration.
>
> This is the problem, maybe.
>
> Perhaps cvs.gnus.org has
>
> ALL: PARANOID
>
> in hosts.deny?
>
> for example, my IP address at home is 65.96.250.128.  Surprisingly
> (we're talking about ATT broadband here), this address resolves to a
> host, and that host resolves to another IP address.  For me they
> happen to be the same addresses:
>
> 65.96.250.128 -> h000094c5efff.ne.mediaone.net -> 65.96.250.128
>
> I think ALL: PARANOID only requires that
>
> 1) your IP resolves to a hostname
> 2) that hostname resolves to ANY ip address.

"ALL: PARANOID" requires that the IP address have a PTR record to a
hostname that resolves to the same IP address.

> of course, this mostly causes problems, and adds very little
> security benefits...

True.  Though the Internet would be a better place if everybody had
their DNS set up properly.

--
matt

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-30 21:59                             ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2001-10-30 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Richard Hoskins <rmh3@alltel.net> writes:
>
>> Could all this just be a case of Harry's (and the other poster) DNS
>> not being updated properly?

I don't think so, I get 195.204.10.66.

> my CVS/Root files look like:
> :pserver:gnus@quimby.gnus.org:/usr/local/cvsroot
>
> since I changed the hostname from cvs to quimby, but the DNS records
> for cvs have been updated.  cvs is working fine for me...

I had it on quimby, but this stopped working, so I changed it to cvs,
but it didn't help.

> (to the people who cvs isn't working for)
> what is your external IP visible on the internet?

I'm on a modem connection through an ISP on a dynamic IP, but it had
always worked fine until the repository has moved.

> does it have a reverse lookup+forward lookup defined?

I don't know, but I think it does (something like provider.dialin.nnn).

Robert Epprecht

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-31  3:01                                     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-31  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Matt Armstrong" <matt+dated+1007070401.afc757@lickey.com> writes:

>> I think ALL: PARANOID only requires that
>>
>> 1) your IP resolves to a hostname
>> 2) that hostname resolves to ANY ip address.
>
> "ALL: PARANOID" requires that the IP address have a PTR record to a
> hostname that resolves to the same IP address.

What does that mean in plain english?  What is PTR

>> of course, this mostly causes problems, and adds very little
>> security benefits...

How can Robert or I tell what the problem is.

As noted I can connect to several other cvs servers
tramp
bbdb
gcc

> True.  Though the Internet would be a better place if everybody had
> their DNS set up properly.

What is a simple test to verifiy that ones DNS is acceptable to
internet standards?

* Re: New cvs setup?
@ 2001-10-31  4:57                                       ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-10-31  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> "Matt Armstrong" <matt+dated+1007070401.afc757@lickey.com> writes:
>> "ALL: PARANOID" requires that the IP address have a PTR record to a
>> hostname that resolves to the same IP address.
>
> What does that mean in plain english?  What is PTR

PTR (pointer) records are used to map addresses back to hostnames.  If
you want to know the hostname for the address 1.2.3.4, you look up the
PTR record for the name 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.  Then for the resulting
name, you can look up the A (address) record(s) to check that it
matches the original address.  This check is useful if your server
puts extra trust in certain clients' hostnames.

There's no reason for CVS to be interested in your hostname at all.
But it might be (badly) configured to check anyway, and since the name
in your address's PTR record has no A record, that might be your
trouble.

> How can Robert or I tell what the problem is.

Hopefully the CVS server is logging the reason for dropping the
connection.  So somebody just needs to look at the logs and tell us
what they say.

paul