* hefty paused when press `g' and other commands
@ 2017-02-14 15:26 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-02-14 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been experiencing this problem for some months now.
Nearly every time I attempt so send a news post or mail the `Ctr-c'
meets with an interminable hang.

Ditto for refreshing news `Alt-g' or `g'

Kill out with Ctr-g then follow with the same command and it works as
expected.

This nearly always... there are rarish occasions with pressing the
commands gets the desired response immediately.

Something to do with my internet connection perhaps... but is there
something I can do with gnus that will not allow the connections
involved go stale? ... something like a `keep-alive' type signal.

Some way to make gnus call the necessary connections every few
seconds?  Maybe with-out actully carring them through?

* Re: hefty paused when press `g' and other commands
@ 2017-02-14 19:28 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-02-14 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I've been experiencing this problem for some months now.
> Nearly every time I attempt so send a news post or mail the `Ctr-c'
> meets with an interminable hang.
>
> Ditto for refreshing news `Alt-g' or `g'
>
> Kill out with Ctr-g then follow with the same command and it works as
> expected.

I had this a lot until I upgraded to emacs 25.1 and haven't seen it so
far since then.

I do have a small keepalive function but that only runs when I'm at one
of the public libraries here in Honolulu, all of which enforce very
short timeouts.

I am using Ma Gnus 0.14 (because I can't figure out where to get 0.16;
it's very unclear just what branch is present in the emacs git repo on
savannah).

I'm also not clear if this is the right mailing list for this, but since
posting to usenet pretty much ended, a lot of things are unclear :)
Apologies if I'm replying in the wrong place; do let me know.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: hefty paused when press `g' and other commands
@ 2017-03-05  1:23   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-03-05  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

>> I've been experiencing this problem for some months now.
>> Nearly every time I attempt so send a news post or mail the `Ctr-c'
>> meets with an interminable hang.
>>
>> Ditto for refreshing news `Alt-g' or `g'
>>
>> Kill out with Ctr-g then follow with the same command and it works as
>> expected.
>
> I had this a lot until I upgraded to emacs 25.1 and haven't seen it so
> far since then.

I'm on the latest gnus so it may have had more to do with your server
or something. (More below about gnus versions)

> I do have a small keepalive function but that only runs when I'm at one
> of the public libraries here in Honolulu, all of which enforce very
> short timeouts.

How does that work?  You mean a function inside gnus or emacs or
something external?

> I am using Ma Gnus 0.14 (because I can't figure out where to get 0.16;
> it's very unclear just what branch is present in the emacs git repo on
> savannah).

I can tell you one thing and may have the exact dates wrong but
probably pretty close.

There is no longer a separate gnus developement.  Gnus is being
developed inside emacs now.  I think it started like that about the
release of emacs-25.  At any rate if you want the latest gnus these
days you have to get the latest emacs:

   http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs

That page has instructions for getting the sources of developement
emacs from git.  It will have the very latest gnus ... or so it was
posted here a while back.

* gnus and Gmail: saving drafts to Gmail draft folder
@ 2017-03-05 19:45 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2017-03-05 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I don't want to save drafts (with C-c C-d) to a local draft folder; I
want them to go to the [Gmail]/Drafts folder. Everything I found on the
net said that this wasn't an option. So I kludged up a workaround. It
undoubtedly has downsides and could be done better, so any constructive
feedback is welcome.

----
;; Move drafts to the gmail draft folder.
(defun gmail-move-drafts ()
  "Move all local drafts to Gmail draft folder"
  (interactive)

  ;; Better than 'let' for debugging.
  (defvar gmail-draft-saved-hooks)

  ;; This avoids an error when using the gnus registry.
  ;; It is not ideal. Is there a better way?
  (setq gmail-draft-saved-hooks gnus-summary-article-move-hook)
  (setq gnus-summary-article-move-hook nil)

  ;; The long way around. If there is a group buffer go there.
  ;; If there is a draft folder, go there. (There ought to be but...)
  ;; Mark all the draft messages.
  ;; Move them to Gmail.
  ;; Be /sure/ to exit the summary buffer!
  ;; Return to the buffer from whence we came.
  ;; Restore the hooks.
  (if (get-buffer "*Group*")
      (with-current-buffer "*Group*"
	 (if (gnus-group-goto-group "nndraft:drafts" t)
	       (if (or (gnus-group-select-group) (gnus-topic-select-group))
		   (progn
		      (gnus-uu-mark-buffer)
		      (gnus-summary-move-article nil "nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Drafts" nil)
		      (gnus-summary-exit))))))
  (setq gnus-summary-article-move-hook gmail-draft-saved-hooks))

;; Make our function run after saving a draft.
(advice-add 'message-dont-send :after #'gmail-move-drafts)

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i