* Ask gnus to forget erroneous passwords
@ 2013-10-08 16:05 Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2013-10-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

if I make a mistake when typing my SMTP password, gnus will remember it
and keep failing at the authentication step forever, even if I restart
gnus.  The only way to make it work again is to close and open emacs
again.

Is there any way for gnus to forget that password if I made a typing
mistake?

--
Alberto

* Re: Ask gnus to forget erroneous passwords
@ 2013-10-08 16:10 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-10-08 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 18:05:26 +0200 Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:

AL> if I make a mistake when typing my SMTP password, gnus will remember it
AL> and keep failing at the authentication step forever, even if I restart
AL> gnus.  The only way to make it work again is to close and open emacs
AL> again.

AL> Is there any way for gnus to forget that password if I made a typing
AL> mistake?

Try `M-x auth-source-forget-all-cached'

Ted

* Re: Ask gnus to forget erroneous passwords
@ 2013-10-08 16:32   ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2013-10-08 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov writes:

> On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 18:05:26 +0200 Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
>
> AL> if I make a mistake when typing my SMTP password, gnus will remember it
> AL> and keep failing at the authentication step forever, even if I restart
> AL> gnus.  The only way to make it work again is to close and open emacs
> AL> again.
>
> AL> Is there any way for gnus to forget that password if I made a typing
> AL> mistake?
>
> Try `M-x auth-source-forget-all-cached'

Yes, it works! Thank you very much!

--

@ 2013-10-08 20:18     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-10-08 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 18:32:22 +0200 Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:

AL> Ted Zlatanov writes:
>> On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 18:05:26 +0200 Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
>>
AL> if I make a mistake when typing my SMTP password, gnus will remember it
AL> and keep failing at the authentication step forever, even if I restart
AL> gnus.  The only way to make it work again is to close and open emacs
AL> again.
>>
AL> Is there any way for gnus to forget that password if I made a typing
AL> mistake?
>>
>> Try `M-x auth-source-forget-all-cached'

AL> Yes, it works! Thank you very much!

I'm glad, and sorry there's no cleaner way to do it.  I thought the SMTP
code used to clear the password cache on a bad login but there was some
complicated "retry and call Armenia" logic in there so I've lost track.

Ted