* "error Selecting deleted buffer" when opening nntp servers
@ 2011-01-13 10:44 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-01-13 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

One one of my gnusen (CentOs 5, emacs 22.3.1, git gnus) I sometimes see
the following message in the minibuffer after starting gnus:

Warning: Opening nntp server on news.eclipse.org...failed: ; Denied server nntp+news.eclipse.org; Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...failed: (error Selecting deleted buffer); Denied server nntp+news.gmane.org; Opening nntp server on news...failed: ; Denied server nntp+news; Opening nntp server on news...failed: (error Selecting deleted buffer); Denied server nntp+news

This doesn't always happen and the set of denied servers may differ.

If I go to the server buffer and open the denied servers, they open
immediately, and for a while they seem to be working normally again.

But if I leave the gnus alone for a while, and come back, one or more of
the nntp servers may have gone to Denied.  If I go to the server buffer
and open the Denied servers, they open without problems.

This do not happen on my other two git gnusen (one on Ubuntu 10.10 and
emacs 22, and one on Debian Testing with emacs 23).  The config should
be the same (or at least as much the same as different enviroments lets
me).

The server set is almost identical (the debian testing gnus has a
differet primary server "news", but the Ubuntu netbook "news" is the
same as the CentOs one), and the group set is overlapping.

Has anyone else seen this?

* Re: "error Selecting deleted buffer" when opening nntp servers
@ 2011-01-22  4:53 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-22  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Has anyone else seen this?

I've seen Gnus mark news.gmane.org as denied a few times, but that's
because it refuses new connections if the load is too high, which it
sometimes is...