* Where is the highwater mark kept!?
@ 2002-01-30 21:11 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-01-30 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running Oort v0.04 from CVS of...looks like about 26 January.

I had a sparsely populated nnml group that was taking *forever* to process,
so I went and did the "renumbering trick":

1. Enter misc, mark all messages (1-14921, sparse), B c to misc.ren, exit
2. C-u G del to delete misc and all its contents
3. Enter misc.ren, mark all messages (1-1321, dense, hooray!), B c to misc
4. Make sure everything seems ok
5. C-u G del misc.ren

All's well...except that nnml:misc keeps getting assigned a
"highwater" mark of 14921 so I don't get to see any new mail for a
*long* time.

I dug around. I changed 14921 to "1300" in ~/.newsrc.eld and
~/Mail/misc/.marks but it still keeps changing back to 14921. Where
the heck is it stored!?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Puritanism--The haunting fear that
http://nwalsh.com/            | someone, somewhere may be happy.--H.L.
                              | Mencken

* Re: Where is the highwater mark kept!?
@ 2002-01-30 21:27 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-01-30 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
> I dug around. I changed 14921 to "1300" in ~/.newsrc.eld and
> ~/Mail/misc/.marks but it still keeps changing back to 14921. Where
> the heck is it stored!?

~/Mail/active.

However, you could probably have done just as well to mark them all,
and then move them (`B m') to the same group, which would have
resulted in a dense numbering from 14922 to 16243, without having to
go through the extra step of trying to delete the original group.

* Re: Where is the highwater mark kept!?
@ 2002-01-30 21:36   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-01-30 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
|> I dug around. I changed 14921 to "1300" in ~/.newsrc.eld and
|> ~/Mail/misc/.marks but it still keeps changing back to 14921. Where
|> the heck is it stored!?
|
| ~/Mail/active.

Nope. My active file says:

misc 1342 1 y

And I still get 14921 messages...help!?

| However, you could probably have done just as well to mark them all,
| and then move them (`B m') to the same group, which would have
| resulted in a dense numbering from 14922 to 16243, without having to
| go through the extra step of trying to delete the original group.

D'Oh! If I'd have remembered *that* part...sigh.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | If you settle for what they're giving
http://nwalsh.com/            | you, you deserve what you get.

* Re: Where is the highwater mark kept!?
@ 2002-01-30 21:49     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-30 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> / Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> was heard to say:
> | Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
> |> I dug around. I changed 14921 to "1300" in ~/.newsrc.eld and
> |> ~/Mail/misc/.marks but it still keeps changing back to 14921. Where
> |> the heck is it stored!?
> |
> | ~/Mail/active.
>
> Nope. My active file says:
>
> misc 1342 1 y
>
> And I still get 14921 messages...help!?

Did you accidentally enter the article into the Cache?

See the directory ~/News/cache/nnml/misc/.

ShengHuo

* Re: Where is the highwater mark kept!?
@ 2002-01-30 22:02       ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-01-30 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> was heard to say:
|> And I still get 14921 messages...help!?
|
| Did you accidentally enter the article into the Cache?
|
| See the directory ~/News/cache/nnml/misc/.

Apparently. Actually, it was listed in ~/News/cache/active, but there
was no directory for it.

But blowing it out of the active file fixed the problem, thanks!

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | There are infinite possibilities of