* Extra '-- ' when using 'gnus-alias-select-identity'
@ 2023-08-09 14:57 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-08-09 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Since upgrading from Emacs 27.1 to 28.2 (via the upgrade from Debian 11
to 12), when I use

  gnus-alias-select-identity

the signature is correctly changed, but now an additional line
containing

  --

is inserted above the identical line which marks the beginning of the
signature (the error is show below).  Further switching of the identity

Does anyone know what is happening and how I can prevent this extra line
from appearing?

Cheers,

Loris

This signature is currently under constuction.

* Re: Extra '-- ' when using 'gnus-alias-select-identity'
@ 2023-08-11 19:47 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2023-08-11 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett, The Gnus

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 3:42 PM Loris Bennett
<loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Since upgrading from Emacs 27.1 to 28.2 (via the upgrade from Debian 11
> to 12), when I use
>
>   gnus-alias-select-identity
>
> the signature is correctly changed, but now an additional line
> containing
>
>   --
>
> is inserted above the identical line which marks the beginning of the
> signature (the error is show below).  Further switching of the identity
> has also works but always results in there being two such lines above
> the signature.

I noticed this as well back when I did an Emacs update.  But it was
because I already had the "--" as the top line of my sig file.   I
removed the "--" from the file and that was the answer.  Don't know if
that will be the case for you but it might.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Via Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB.

* Re: Extra '-- ' when using 'gnus-alias-select-identity'
@ 2023-08-14  7:28   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-08-14  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 3:42 PM Loris Bennett
> <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> Since upgrading from Emacs 27.1 to 28.2 (via the upgrade from Debian 11
>> to 12), when I use
>>
>>   gnus-alias-select-identity
>>
>> the signature is correctly changed, but now an additional line
>> containing
>>
>>   --
>>
>> is inserted above the identical line which marks the beginning of the
>> signature (the error is show below).  Further switching of the identity
>> has also works but always results in there being two such lines above
>> the signature.
>
> I noticed this as well back when I did an Emacs update.  But it was
> because I already had the "--" as the top line of my sig file.   I
> removed the "--" from the file and that was the answer.  Don't know if
> that will be the case for you but it might.

I briefly thought that might be the issue, but I don't actually use sig
files any more.  I define a variable like

  (setq lb/newsgroup-sig "This signature is currently under constuction.")

and then use this in 'gnus-alias-identity-alist':

    (setq gnus-alias-identity-alist
	  '(("Newsgroup"
	     ""
	     "\"Loris Bennett\" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de>"
	     "ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin"
	     nil
	     ""
	     lb/newsgroup-sig)
             ))

I had this setup prior to the update and it seemed to work OK.