From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: How about gnus-registry-precious-only-p?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 14:46:06 -0700	[thread overview]

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:29:38 -0700 Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
> EA> Actually, thinking more about it, your point here is important -- it's
> EA> probably best to explicitly check the value of
> EA> `gnus-registry-extra-entries-precious'. Also, the good thing about
> EA> `gnus-registry-register-message-ids' is that it fully populates the
> EA> entries with sender, subject, etc. Relying on other manual functions to
> EA> create entries may fail to do that, and that information is important to
> EA> have.
>
> EA> I'm leaning towards having `gnus-registry-register-message-ids' do its
> EA> thing no matter what, and then deleting the entries when leaving the
> EA> *Summary* buffer. If the user adds precious data to any of the entries
> EA> while in the summary, they won't be deleted.
>
> OK. For large groups, this gets slow in my experience. Could we register
> the articles when adding the marks or when leaving the summary?

Oh, and that would make it even slower because the entries will be
constantly recreated if we happen to enter a group multiple times and
look at old messages.

We could create the full entries when setting marks, but that wouldn't
help other packages that might be using the registry to save
information. But perhaps we could create a helper function, or an
optional CREATE-FULL argument to `gnus-registry-set-id-key'.

Will think some more.