From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: New option gnus-use-atomic-windows
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 18:52:22 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi all,

For those of you running master, there's a new option
`gnus-use-atomic-windows' which you can play with. You can read about
atomic windows in the Elisp manual, but the basic idea is that a Gnus
layout of several windows will be treated as a *single* window by code
that pops up buffers in new windows. For example, if you're using Helm
and a Helm completion buffer pops up while you're in the Summary, that
completion buffer will show up on the bottom or to the right of the
entire Gnus window composition, and not squished between the Summary and
Article buffers.

It defaults to nil, please set to t and test it! I'm particularly
interested in any third-party code that uses `delete-other-windows' from
a Gnus window. Code like that will now signal an error (because by
default atomic windows can't be individually deleted) which reads:

"Root of atomic window is root window of its frame"

If you get that, please let me know. It is solvable, but I'd like to see
what kind of code is using this before putting a fix in.

Thanks,
Eric